View Vacancy - Post Security Manager B3 (04/20 KRT)
Main Purpose of Job
To perform the duties of Post Security Manager at the British Embassy Khartoum to a high standard.
Roles and responsibilities:
Responsible for the day to day management of security supervisors and guards including:
- Line management of the A2(L) Deputy Security Manager (DSM).
- Managing and overseeing the recruitment of supervisors and guards.
- Preparing monthly security rosters for supervisors as well as for Embassy and residential guards.
- Ensuring timely and appropriate replacements of supervisors and guards when required.
- Ensuring annual leave of supervisors and guards are completed within the leave year.
- Handle all overtime requirements quickly and efficiently with claims checked and handed to OSM for signature at timely intervals.
- Ensure disciplinary case of supervisors and guards are reported, investigated, and directed to formal disciplinary hearing without delay.
- Closely monitor that the PRISM entries of leave and absences of supervisors and guards inputted by the DSM are correct and kept up to date.
- Ensure the yearly staff performance appraisals of the DSM, supervisors and guards are completed appropriately and in a timely fashion.
- Manage the day to day security guarding operations at the Embassy and UK staff residential properties, and usage of security supplies and equipment
- Manage security resources in the most cost-effective way and ensure security requirements are effectively met on daily basis.
- Control and monitor the distribution of supervisors’ and guards’ uniforms.
- Instruct and monitor supervisors to ensure that security equipment is kept clean and tidy and are checked on a daily basis and report any deficiencies/faults to the DSM.
- Make timely formal requests to TWG for security related maintenance work.
- Ensure that the security equipment store is kept clean and orderly and stock records are maintained accordingly.
- Daily inspection of the physical security infrastructure to ensure such features as barriers, gates, keys and locks are in good working order.
- Acquisition of required security-related supplies and equipment.
- Ensure that duty supervisors conduct at least two rounds of patrol during their duty shift around all Embassy security posts and residential locations making sure guards are carrying out their duties adhering to the standing instructions including being in proper uniform and keeping their guardhouse, bathroom and changing room clean and tidy.
Continue to develop and implement effective training strategies and course programmes for supervisors and guards.
Maintain daily contact with the Diplomatic Police Supervisors/officers regarding the protection and security of the British Embassy/DFID and residential properties.
Actively participate in organising security arrangements for special high-profile events such as the QBP.
Prepare and deliver regular presentations for non-security staff remembers to remind them of procedures according to the PSRs, to make them aware of the activities and the services of the security section, and to help enhance their own individual security.
Ensure that all staff read and understand the PSRs and that the PSRs are distributed at least every 12 months and acknowledged accordingly.
Preparing a welcome security package for newly arriving UK-based staff members and short-term visitors and conduct the initial security briefing when instructed by OSM.
Be on call 24/7 on a roster basis with the DSM, in order to provide security assistance to UKB staff and support the security supervisor and OSM as required.
Assist and advise the OSM in the following tasks:
- Identifying, investigating, resolving, and reporting incidents and security breaches
- Contributing to security surveys
- Being helpful in liaising with main stakeholders
- Helping in OSM’s analysis and evaluation of security operations to identify risks or opportunities for improvement
- Advising on risk assessment that inform the emergency and contingency planning process
- Maintain an active role in emergency responses as well as in the process of risk mitigation, recovery and business continuity
- Advising OSM whenever required on cases that need Travel Risk Assessments (TRA)
- In the absence of the OSM, be responsible for processing and risk managing TRA’s, and ensuring timely submission to the PSO and ESD in London
- Any other duties as directed by the OSM
Resources Managed (Staff and Expenditure)
Direct line management for 1 x DSM
Counter signing officer for 5 x supervisors
No direct budget responsibility
- Valid full driving licence
- Proven security management experience
- Proven experience of managing large teams
- Knowledge of Khartoum road network
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Good verbal communication skills in both English and Arabic
- Good written communication skills in both English and Arabic
- Ability to effectively communicate and work in a team under pressure
- Ability to learn and improve
- A recognised security qualification at degree level, or similar professionally recognised security management qualification
- Preferably has worked in Embassies/UN or NGOs or has had similar experience in a security environment
The successful candidate will be required to work a standard working week Sunday – Thursday of 42.5 hours, with some evening and weekend work as operationally required.
The successful candidate will be required to cover security duty officer duties and cover 1 week on duty in 2 for which they will receive an additional 5% of 1/12th of annual salary.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
Diversity at workplace
The British Embassy is located in the heart of Khartoum and offers a modern and healthy work environment, with a competitive remuneration package, including on-site access to leisure facilities. The Embassy is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system, generous Health Insurance Scheme, good development opportunities, an excellent organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance. We treat people with respect and equality and have a zero tolerance policy for any form of discrimination, bullying or harassment.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Khartoum are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Sudan.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to; Obtain the relevant permit; Pay the fees for the permit; Make arrangements to relocate; Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates
- British Embassy will only contact successful candidates, if you do not hear from us please consider your application unsuccessful
This opportunity is closed to applications.