View Vacancy - Political and Public Affairs Officer (01/19 CKY) - MATERNITY COVER
Main purpose of job:
The main purpose of the job is to raise awareness and increase the impact of the United Kingdom in Guinea through all methods of public outreach, and to report on internal and external political affairs in Guinea.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Monitor and analyse internal political affairs in Guinea through the media and contacts
- Regular political reporting for the UK internal Embassy network
- Establish and maintain a network of political and human rights related contacts in Guinea
- Develop and implement a communications strategy for the Embassy, including extending the Embassy’s contacts with the media
- Upgrade and maintain an impactful Embassy presence on social media
- Coordinate with the UK Communications network in Africa and with other relevant contacts
3) Chevening programme:
- Lead the UK’s Chevening Scholarship programme for Guinea ensuring increased numbers of high quality candidates apply, that all procedures are implemented effectively to facilitate the selection of scholars and their arrangements to go to the UK, and that the UK interest is promoted in Guinea
- Promote educational opportunities in the UK
4) Public awareness raising events management
- Organisation of and attendance at awareness raising events and meetings
- Forward planning of an events calendar designed to raise awareness of the UK and to reinforce UK objectives in Guinea
5) Representation of the United Kingdom at external events
- in the absence of the Ambassador/Deputy Head of Mission
6) Support all other Embassy work where needed
- including commercial, prosperity, projects, protocol and other
- Fluent French; English to a high standard (oral, listening, reading and writing – this will be tested)
- University (Bachelors) degree in a relevant subject
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point
- Advanced knowledge of Social Media
- Numerical and budget management abilities
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organisational skills
- Ability to work effectively under tight deadlines;
- Resourcefulness in solving problems;
- Superior professionalism and judgment;
- Strong work ethic
- 3 years experience in a position similar to that advertised
- Experience of staff management
- Proven analysis and reporting skills
Learning and development opportunities:
- The position offers much opportunity for learning and development on the job, including through attendance at seminars, workshops and building relationships with relevant contacts.
- Visits to the UK or elsewhere in Africa for network conferences or for training courses are possible.
- Training will be provided both on the job in Conakry, and may also be through courses delivered by the Regional L&D centre.
- On-line learning will always be accessible and time will be available for this.
Increasing the impact of our work to build relationship between Guinea and the UK is a top Embassy priority. It offers much scope for flexibility and creativity, and will require working across the range of Embassy interests to ensure maximum impact for all activities. This is a critical role in the Embassy team.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Conakry are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Guinea.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay the fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
This opportunity is closed to applications.