View Vacancy - Political Officer B3 (05/19 DKR)
Main purpose of job:
- Monitor developments, relevant to FCO and our mission, in Senegal, Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau in the areas of democracy, good governance/transparency, internal security, human rights, civil society, religion, and environment.
- Prepare briefs, background papers, short-term research projects and longer term in depth research studies on a range of international issues;
- Contribute to the development of the Post policy by way of advice and recommendations;
- Develop expertise on topic areas that assume importance in the FCO context;
- Participate in seminars and other colloquia on relevant issues organised by various institutions in both government and non-government sectors;
- Represent the Embassy at external meetings and events as required;
- Assist in arrangements for meetings of VIPs and other high-level bodies on matters covered by Post, including the preparation, editing and co-ordination of documentation for such meetings, as well as preparation of minutes.
Roles and responsibilities:
POLITICAL OFFICER (60%)
- Reporting and analysing developments and trends in key areas, against agreed priorities (e.g. democracy, good governance, transparency, internal security, human rights, civil society, religion, and environment)
PROGRAMME AND PROJECT WORK (20%)
- To support delivery of Post objectives, including budget management in these areas;
- Identification of suitable projects working with Post Project Board;
- Management of agreed projects;
- Monitoring of projects including on-site visits, obtaining and checking financial accountability, updating spreadsheets and preparation of Post Annual Report;
- Liaison with FCO and Africa Directorate for returns;
- Replying to requests for assistance;
- Meeting and responding to enquiries on our bilateral programme budget.
CHEVENING OFFICER (10%)
- Outreach and management of selection process for Chevening scholarship candidates;
- Marketing and Promotion activities;
- Organising Chevening interviews;
- Arranging pre-departure briefing events;
- Undertaking alumni engagement and raising the Chevening profile.
BACK-UP IT SUPPORT OFFICER (5%)
- Support in the administration and management of Post’s IT systems and equipment;
- Training staff on computer use.
LOCALLY ENGAGED STAFF ASSOCIATION (5%)
- Enable Local Staff to proactively engage with Post Senior Management;
- Facilitating input into central policy development;
- Enhancing the contribution of Local Staff to the Post’s corporate objectives as well as representing the views of Local Staff.
The successful candidate will have a leading role in the management of the programme budget.
- Knowledge of the Senegalese political system;
- Excellent analytical abilities: sound judgment and the ability to scan the political context to identify salient developments;
- Excellent networking skills, an ability to develop and maintain contacts across a wide range of sectors; and strong influencing / persuasion skills;
- Positive, proactive attitude and ability to work both independently and in teams, and to create professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people both internally and externally;
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral to a wide range of stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong IT skills, particularly Outlook, Word and Excel.
- A very good level of both French and English is required
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
There are many opportunities to develop with FCO/Civil Service courses that offer world-class training. We encourage staff to identify training to improve their performance and aid their career progression, in consultation with their line-manager.
The British Embassy Dakar is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Senegal with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- The successful applicant will demonstrate that they meet the requirements under Senegal law to work in Senegal.
- The British Embassy in Dakar is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
- Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Dakar is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Senegalese employment law.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
This opportunity is closed to applications.