View Vacancy - Head of Capital Investment and Technology (DEU20.186)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in Berlin is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Head of Capital Investment and Technology to be part of the Department for International Trade (DIT) team in Germany.
The role can be based in Munich, Berlin or Dusseldorf.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the British government’s international economic department. The UK and Germany are long-standing trade and investment partners with bilateral trade accounting for more than £130bn in 2018. The UK remains the number one investment destination in Europe and of the total £573bn invested in the UK by the EU, Germany accounts for £63bn. This is a new and demanding position and the combination of the economic and political backdrop offers the right candidate an exciting opportunity to play a key role in shaping and delivering DIT strategy in one of our biggest and most important markets.
As Head of Capital Investment the jobholder will have responsibility for setting the strategic direction of the UK’s Capital Investment strategy in Germany, working closely with DIT counterparts in London to develop and market investment opportunities to a wide range of investors.
In addition, the successful candidate will provide leadership to the DIT Germany Technology Team (covering AI, IoT, 5G, Cyber Security), with responsibility for the Team’s strategy to support Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) from German tech companies into the UK, as well as grow exports from UK tech businesses to Germany.
As a senior member of the DIT Germany team, the jobholder will need to be creative, strategic and able to mobilise a wide network (both inside government and in the private sector), in order to build a pipeline of potential investors into the UK. They will have exceptional relationship and account management skills to ensure sustained, sophisticated and tailored engagement and have the ability to work credibly at the most senior levels.
The role will demand strong leadership skills to engage and motivate a high-performing and diverse team working across three Posts in Germany, as well as the ability to collaborate strategically with Policy colleagues in the Embassy and DIT teams in other markets. The position will involve direct line management responsibilities.
As part of the role the jobholder will be expected to hold and maintain a strong knowledge of trade policy objectives, market trends and incentives in Germany and the UK, in order to effectively promote UK strengths to a German audience. This includes representing DIT at external events and occasional speaking engagements. The role will require regular travel, particularly in and around the Munich area.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Plan and oversee the delivery of the UK’s Capital Investment strategy in Germany, including increasing the profile and understanding of UK Capital Investment Propositions, working closely with DIT counterparts in London;
- Develop, position and implement marketing strategies, conceive and develop activities, and produce events with the goals of generating Capital Investment leads, building relationships, and highlighting the strengths of the UK’s market proposition to potential investors;
- Maintain current knowledge of market trends and incentives in the UK and Germany, in order to effectively promote UK strengths to a German audience.
Relationship & Account Management
- Build and manage a pipeline of high value investors, working with colleagues across the Germany Network and in the UK to provide comprehensive strategic relationship management to German prospects looking to invest in the UK;
- Forge strong relationships with German business leaders, trade associations and other key partners. Work to support UK prosperity and UK trade policy objectives in collaboration with teams across the Germany Network and with other UK Government Departments;
- Engage existing investors already active in the UK to maintain/grow their investment;
- Manage and/or support visits by senior government officials and visitors by securing high-level meetings, organising activities, and preparing briefing materials.
- Provide thought leadership for Capital Investment within the UK Government and in conjunction with Trade Policy colleagues, seeking to influence trade policy in the UK as it relates to Capital Investment;
- Provide leadership and management to the DIT Germany Tech team (export growth & FDI), working collaboratively with Policy colleagues in the Embassy and working to successfully deliver the DIT Europe Region’s “Technology & AI” strategic campaign;
- Work and engage credibly at the highest level; Represent DIT at external events, including occasional speaking engagements.
- Fluent written and spoken English and German (minimum level required C2 under the CEFRL*);
- Leadership/management experience;
- Ability to effectively and credibly engage with companies and organisations at a senior level,
- Evidence of strong relationship and account management skills and a demonstrated ability to think strategically;
- Ability to work across teams and stakeholders based across multiple locations;
- Excellent research and writing skills, with an ability to provide clear, concise summaries, briefing and to respond to ad hoc requests at short notice;
- Project management experience;
- Strong organisational and time management skills;
- Self-Starter – proactive with the ability to work well on own initiative;
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Sound knowledge of the UK and German business environments;
- Commitment to being part of a diverse and engaged team: All staff are expected to contribute to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and to support the Embassy’s positive working environment
- Sound knowledge of the UK’s investment proposition, especially with regard to Capital Investment;
- Familiarity with the UK and German tech sector, including policy, market trends and developments;
- Understanding of the potential ramifications of the UK’s exit from the European Union and strategies to address this.
This is a full-time position of five working days 37.5 hours per week, for a contract period of two years.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Missions in Germany are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the Embassy/Consulate-General, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the Embassy’s/Consulate-General's positive working environment.
Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary after 31st December 2020.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
FCO does not pay for travel related expense incurred in interviews (including Security Check) or accept any financial risk, including cancellation or reschedule costs. The FCO will not meet the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarise information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Additional Information (due to Covid-19):
- You may experiment some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.