View Vacancy - Public Affairs Officer (LVA21.093)
Note: Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in Riga is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a Public Affairs Officer.
The new hire will develop and deliver British Embassy Riga (BE Riga) public affairs and digital communications strategy in support of UK Government priorities. Ensure production of digital content to support BE Riga communication priorities. Lead the delivery of BE Riga public diplomacy events. Monitor media and support analysis and reporting on domestic politics.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Strategic planning and delivery of communication and public affairs strategy (50%)
- Develop and keep up-to-date the British Embassy Riga (BE Riga) communications strategy (including digital communications strategy) in support of UK Government priorities and BE Riga Country Plan;
- Implement the BE Riga communications strategy through relevant public diplomacy, communication and media relations work;
- Plan, design and implement BE Riga digital communications activities through efficient management of relevant social media channels (Facebook, Twitter) and production of video content to be used for YouTube or other channels;
- Plan and contribute towards production of high quality, impactful and well-edited digital communications materials (social media posts, infographics, graphic animation, video, audio);
- Deliver communication in Latvian, Russian and English languages in close coordination with BE Riga’s Russian Language Communications Officer for the Baltic States;
- Act as BE Riga spokesperson under the direction of HM Ambassador;
- Advise HM Ambassador and other senior officials on communications activities in Latvia.
Planning and organizing public diplomacy events (30%):
- Plan and arrange public diplomacy events to deliver UK Government priorities in Latvia in cooperation with different Embassy sections and other British Embassies in the Nordic-Baltic region;
- Plan and implement strategic medium-term campaigns in line with UK Government priorities and the BE Riga Country Plan;
- Manage communications ahead of and during visits by senior UK officials and experts to Latvia.
Political analysis and other responsibilities (20%)
- Monitor media and report on political developments relevant to the UK;
- Analyse and prepare report on relevant domestic politics issues;
- Advise on counter disinformation and media development issues in Latvia;
- Plan and deliver specific small scale projects implemented by the Embassy, including their financial management and evaluation;
- Provide cover for other colleagues at BE Riga on as required basis;
- Implement other tasks assigned by line manager or senior management.
- Fluent written and spoken English and Latvian (C1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), plus working knowledge of Russian (A2/B1);
- University/BA degree in a relevant area;
- Excellent drafting skills;
- Good digital communication skills (including experience to produce digital content);
- Excellent analytical skills (policy analysis, media content analysis);
- Presentation skills: ability to present and communicate information in clear, concise manner, adjusted to target audience, including senior officials, media, etc.;
- Good planning and prioritisation;
- Ability to work under pressure dealing with multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
- Experience in planning and delivering public affairs, communication or public relations activities;
- Experience of working in and/or with media;
- Relevant working experience in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds.
This is a full-time, permanent position with a 3 months probation. Working time is 40 hours per week (gross).
Embassy provides all its employees the following benefits:
- Two additional annual leave days on top of those mandated by law;
- A combination of Latvian and UK public holidays - 14 working days-off per year;
- Comprehensive Health Insurance that among others also includes dental care and sports.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Riga are subject to terms and conditions of service that are in line with the employment laws in Latvia.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Latvia and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
Information due to COVID-19:
You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.