View Vacancy - Estates Manager/Property Manager (DEU21.137)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in Berlin is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for an experienced Estates Manager/Property Manager with proven leadership and staff management skills. The job holder will be responsible for the smooth running of the Embassy’s estates operation, managing currently over 50 properties in the Berlin area, a team of 6 staff with direct line management responsibility for 3 officers, and also have responsibility for procuring and overseeing the work of contractors. The Estates Manager is responsible to ensure that all properties are managed in accordance with health & safety policy and that the team provides a high level of customer service at all times. The job holder will also have financial management responsibilities. The Estates Manager reports to the Deputy Head of Corporate Services.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Ensure delivery of an efficient and smooth running of the Embassy’s estates operation;
- Lead and manage the local estates team, supplier performance, contracts and maintenance activity;
- Ensure that all of the Embassy’s properties are safe and secure at all times;
- Ensure that a proactive risk management approach is taken to all work, ensuring compliance with UK and German standards;
- Plan, manage and oversee estates projects, preventative and reactive maintenance;
- Work closely with the Regional Technical Works Officer based in the UK;
- Measure and monitor estates performance against targets, preparing reports as required;
- Oversee the sourcing of residential properties, ensuring that properties meet health & safety requirements, provide value for money and are attractive to a wide range of officers and their families;
- Monitor works carried out by the Embassy’s facility management provider;
- Manage allocated budgets as directed;
- Act as fire safety manager;
- Lead on sustainability plans to meet FCDO targets;
- Responsible for estates contingency plans and support the Embassy in crisis situations;
- Work closely with other colleagues in the Corporate Services team, supporting the team to provide a high level of customer service;
- Participate in corporate projects focussed on supporting and developing the collective spirit of the Embassy and the Consulate-Generals in Germany;
- Perform other duties that may be reasonably required;
- Occasionally out of hours working including weekends may be required.
- Fluency in English and German (to at least level C1 CEFR)*;
- A professional qualification in property management (such as Immobilienkaufmann/frau, Immobilienfachwirt/wirtin or equivalent). Candidates without such formal qualifications may be considered if they can demonstrate considerable experience of property management, staff management and a proven track record of delivering a high level of customer service;
- At least 5 years experience of property management in a customer facing role, delivering a high level of customer service;
- A good understanding of legal and regulatory environment concerning health & safety issues and estates maintenance;
- Experience of managing and motivating a team;
- An understanding and commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment;
- Ability to deal with pressure and work flexibly to deal with competing demands and deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken;
- Adaptable and open to change;
- Proven negotiation and influencing skills;
- Experience of financial management;
- Hold a clean and valid driving licence;
- Excellent IT skills. Knowledge of Oracle based systems an advantage;
- The ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Some project management experience;
- Knowledge of the Berlin property market.
This is a full-time (37.5 hours per week) fixed-term position for a contract period of two years, with the possibility of renewal by mutual agreement. Provisional start date is 1st August but a later starting date may be possible.
The gross yearly salary is €61.080 gross per annum rising to approx €68,611 gross per annum after a qualifying period in addition to performance related pay (salary is not negotiable).
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation in Germany in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Germany are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Our Learning & Development environment:
The British Embassy in Berlin has a strong ethos of Learning & Development, including our Learning & Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all Embassy staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the Embassy’s positive working environment.
Information due to COVID-19:
You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
*Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Effective operational proficiency to advanced level which comprehends that a person can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning; can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions; can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes; can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices; and indicates Level B1 as Threshold/intermediate level which comprehends that a person can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc; can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken; can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest; can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.