View Vacancy - Political Officer - Internal Politics and Rule of Law (MLT21.210)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
The British High Commission in Malta is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is seeking for a Political Officer - Internal Politics and Rule of Law to work within the Political Team. The job holder will be an integral member of the political team covering range of important issues; internal politics, parliamentary business, constitutional reform, elections, rule of law and justice.
The ideal candidate will be a self starter with experience of employment in government, journalism or politics with a keen interest in current affairs and international relations.
The job holder will report to the Justice and Home Affairs Officer and work closely colleagues across the High Commission to deliver UK objectives.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Lead on analysis of Malta’s internal politics, including impact of government policy, parliamentary debate and election campaigns on UK interests;
- Support UK–Malta security and justice partnerships through detailed knowledge of government policy and relevant legislation;
- Track and report developments to constitutional reform, rule of law and criminal justice;
- Support partners across High Commission to deliver relevant objectives in the Cross-HMG Country Business Plan for Malta;
- Build and maintain a network of contacts among the Maltese authorities, academia and civil society;
- Carry out research through press reporting, open source, engagement with stakeholders and official publications;
- Prepare both oral and written reports for Embassy and London based audience with readers from across UK Government;
- Provide support to aspects of project work including the UK-Malta Policing Partnership;
- Support wider Political Team performance, managing inward and outward visits and contribute to Team resilience.
- Fluency in English and Maltese (both oral and written, minimum C1 level*);
- Self starter with ability to work well in a team and independently;
- Excellent written communication skills;
- Strong organisational and IT skills;
- Ability to build relationships with key contacts, including at senior levels;
- Problem solving skills and work under pressure.
- An Undergraduate Degree in Politics, International Affairs or Social Sciences;
- Previous experience of work in Government, Journalism, Embassy or International Organisations.
This is a full-time of 35 hours/week, 12 months renewable contract.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Malta. The British High Commission does not sponsor work permits.
Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission in Malta are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Maltese employment law.
Visa/Passport requirements: candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Malta and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. The successful candidate will be subject to professional background and security clearance.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.