View Vacancy - Post Security Manager (DEU21.506)
An exciting opportunity to contribute to the work of the British Embassy in Berlin, which together with the Consulates in Dusseldorf and Munich make up the Germany Network. As part of the FCDO (Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office) world-wide network, the 3 missions serve as a platform for 192 diplomatic and country based colleagues. These come from both the FCDO and a range of other UK Government partners. The Germany Network maintains and develops relations between the UK and Germany, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. This involves supporting inward visits by senior government representatives and other VIP visitors for which extensive ad hoc security arrangements are often necessary.
Based in the British Embassy Berlin, the role of the Post Security Manager (PSM) is to promote a safe and secure working environment for the staff of and visitors to the Embassy. They would fulfil this role by leading the development and implementation of high standards for the management of physical and technical security, including through effective collaboration with corporate partners. Given the extent to which security touches on all functions of the British Embassy and the visibility of the role, including to the public and visitors, the PSM also has a significant impact on the Embassy’s external reputation. They also contribute a great deal via outreach and capacity-building to the Embassy’s security culture. They are a pivotal figure in developing and implementing local security policy through their support for the Embassy’s Post Security Committee (PSC).
In fulfilling the role, the PSM at the British Embassy in Berlin will be required to coordinate closely with PSM colleagues at the Consulates in Munich and Dusseldorf. This is to ensure consistent application of best practice across the Germany Network.
Main roles and responsibilities:
Overseeing Physical security for staff and visitors
- Ensuring all staff and visitors are safe and secure through robust access control and physical security checks across the British Embassy building in central Berlin and the Ambassador’s Residence in a south-western suburb of the city.
- Overseeing security arrangements for inward visits by senior political and VIP visitors, liaising closely with German agencies.
- Overseeing the effective day-to-day management, motivation and professional training of a team of Security Officers, as well as liaising with Contracted Guards, across the British Embassy building and the Ambassador’s Residence.
- Ensuring security staff provide a professional interface with external visitors and the general public, including consular visitors.
- Overseeing security arrangements for senior UK government and VIP visits, as well as events taking place in the British Embassy Berlin facilities. This is to ensure participants remain secure, while designing arrangements such as to complement the fulfilment of the public diplomacy objectives associated with the events or visits.
- Responsibility for security vetting for new country-based (i.e. non-diplomatic) staff joining the British Embassy in Berlin.
- Managing breach procedures and issuing security reports to London, covering all staff.
- Liaising closely and effectively with corporate partners on conducting and leading security training including fire, emergency and evacuation drills
- Updating, maintaining and socialising the Post Security Regulations.
Supporting Development/Implementation of Security Policy
- Providing the secretariat function to the Embassy’s Post Security Committee (PSC) that has overall responsibility for local policy on developing and implementing security measures. This includes providing advice and recommendations for PSC consideration, such as identifying and managing potential threats to staff and buildings, including staff residential accommodation. In fulfilling this role, the PSM will be working closely with the Regional Overseas Security Manager based at the UK’s Diplomatic Mission in Brussels.
- Working closely with the Post Security Officer and their Deputy on following up PSC recommendations.
- Overseeing communication of security requirements to staff.
- Oversee maintenance of CCTV systems, access control and related security systems
- Oversee maintenance of a log of daily occurrences /events/function and visitors.
- Perform role of the Fire Safety Manager by ensuring fire and emergency alarms are tested weekly.
- Promote security awareness and culture across all staff at the British Embassy Berlin, including through direct interaction with individual teams. Providing advice to staff and dependants on security risks.
- Close and ongoing liaison with local security organisations including the Police, the German Foreign Office and Interior Ministry, as well as security managers at like-minded diplomatic missions based in Berlin.
- Perform other duties that may reasonably be required.
- Participate in corporate projects focussed on supporting and developing the collective spirit of the Embassy and the Consulates in Germany.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure)
- 5 staff, comprising a Deputy Post Security Manager (DPSM) and four Security Officers (SOs). These are all non-diplomatic, country-based colleagues.
- At least 5 years professional experience in a security capacity working for an international environment.
- A minimum of 2 years experience of staff management and motivation.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- The ability to speak and write English (to at least level C2 CEFR).
- The ability to speak and write German (to least level C1 CEFR).
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Flexibility and ability to maintain professionalism under pressure.
- Full driving licence.
- Excellent IT skills, including MS Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to form professional relationships, to build trust with a wide range of contacts and the ability to challenge and influence senior stakeholders.
- High levels of discretion, resilient and flexible attitude
- A training background/experience in managing and developing staff
This is a full-time fixed-term position for a contract period of two years.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation in Germany in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Our Learning & Development environment:
The British Embassy has a strong ethos of Learning & Development, including our Learning & Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the Embassy’s positive working environment.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
*Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning; can express fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions; can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes; can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.