View Vacancy - Export Growth Team Lead (DEU22.002)
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is a specialised Government body aiming to promote UK trade across the world and attract foreign investment to the UK. For more information about DIT please follow the link.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) in Germany is recruiting a new Export Growth Team Lead to be based in Berlin, Dusseldorf or Munich. This is a new position and offers the right candidate an exciting opportunity to play a key role in shaping and delivering one of the four pillars of DIT’s Outcome Delivery Plan (ODP) for 2021-22 and beyond: Helping to support UK businesses take full advantage of trade opportunities and facilitating UK exports to Germany.
The Export Growth Team (EGT) is the first port of call for British companies looking for information about doing business in Germany, one of DIT Europe’s biggest and most important markets. The jobholder will report directly to the Deputy Country Director and be responsible for managing the smooth running and development of the Export Growth Team, including line-management of two A2L team members.
A core element of the role will be to deliver practical support to companies, with a focus on SMEs and MSBs, providing information on market potential, routes to market and potential clients.
The successful candidate will work in close collaboration with the DIT Regional Enquiry Hub based in Prague, DIT Europe’s new Market Access Centre and DIT’s export support network in the UK, in order to maintain a high-quality service for UK businesses at all times. This includes maintaining and improving information and database management to facilitate collaboration, to track and report success and to ensure that the activities of the team are focussed on delivering commercial outcomes in support of DIT’s Outcome Delivery Plan to facilitate UK exports.
As team lead, the jobholder will work proactively with other DIT teams based in Berlin, Dusseldorf and Munich to identify specific sectors and areas of export growth potential and promote these opportunities to high potential British exporters.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the continuous development and up-skilling of the EGT, as well as the broader DIT Germany team as appropriate. They will work closely with the Regional Enquiry Hub and Export Growth Teams in other markets to continuously review and improve the Export Growth model and services in DIT Europe.
As with all DIT positions, there will be a focus on working collaboratively with colleagues across the network to maximise opportunities for the UK. The work will be varied and demanding and the successful candidate will need to be a flexible, committed self-starter with the ability to lead and motivate a team, able to juggle priorities and to work on demanding timelines.
The role offers plenty of scope for development and building contact networks. Prior commercial knowledge of or experience in any of the following sectors would be of advantage, but not a requirement: Retail & Consumer Goods, E-Commerce, Financial & Professional Services, Construction, Advanced Manufacturing & Engineering.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Lead the smooth running of the Export Growth Team and line-management of two A2L team members, including the development and up-skilling of the EGT and broader DIT Germany team as appropriate;
- Respond to high value/potential enquiries and deliver practical support to companies, including leading project-based work in support of sector teams when/where opportunities are identified;
- Close coordination with the DIT Europe Trade Enquiry Hub in Prague and the Europe Market Access Centre, to continuously review and improve the EGT model and commercial services and provide a high-quality service to British exporters and SMEs;
- Lead the Germany Export Growth Team to create and maintain strong relationships with DIT’s export support network in the UK, to identify, target and engage a pipeline of high potential clients;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across DIT Europe and the Germany Network to ensure a comprehensive and joined-up approach that maximises opportunities for exporters, using success in one European market as a springboard to success in another;
- Develop, maintain and improve information and database management to facilitate collaboration and to track, measure and report success and commercial outcomes, especially as they relate to the delivery of DIT’s Outcome Delivery Plan to support UK business and grow UK exports;
- Key account management of DIT commercial partners and other stakeholders, helping to build in-market networks and partnerships able to provide commercial services, guidance, information and support alongside DIT teams.
The Germany Network and DIT are a rewarding and exciting place to work, offering:
- Much scope for personal and professional development: Excellent networks and opportunities for support, including mentoring, coaching and job shadowing;
- Strong offer for learning and development, including dedicated L&D days;
- As a line-manager, you will be able to participate in the Germany Network Good Line-Management Programme as well as access other management and leadership programmes to support you and your career development;
- Job satisfaction: Making a positive contribution to the UK’s economy and working across exciting and varied sectors, from Consumer Goods to AEM to Safety-Tech;
- An equal, diverse and engaged workplace;
- Opportunities to actively engage in corporate activities and initiatives in the Germany Network, such as Greening the Network, Germany Women’s Network, the Social Mobility Group, the Germany People Committee;
- Work-life balance;
- Performance related bonus.
- Excellent German and English language skills (written and spoken, minimum level required C1 under the CEFRL or equivalent*) are required. Great IT skills, especially Word, PowerPoint and Excel, are needed.
- Previous commercial experience would be useful.
- Prior commercial knowledge of the following sectors would be of advantage, but not a requirement: Retail & Consumer Goods, E-Commerce, Financial & Professional Services, Construction, Advanced Manufacturing & Engineering.
- Good project management, including an eye for detail, to ensure that all aspects of service delivery have been thought through carefully.
- Customer focus: a concern for quality and drive for continuous improvement in the service provided.
- Excellent communication skills to work well with commercial clients, external contacts and a wide and diverse Germany team.
- Drive and enthusiasm combined with the ability to deliver, working as part of a team.
- Resourcefulness and ability to act on own initiative, with an ability to find creative solutions when the unexpected occurs.
This is a full-time position of 37.5 hours per week, for a contract period of two years with possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
The British Embassy/ Consulate has a strong ethos of Learning and Development. There are regular opportunities to attend internal and external seminars and events on issues of wider interest.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy/Consulate are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy/Consulate will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.