View Vacancy - Temporary Entry Clearance Assistant
Applications are invited for temporary Entry Clearance Assistant positions at the British Consulate in New York. Successful applicants will work as part of a large team handling the efficient and secure delivery of UK immigration services in North America and the Caribbean. The New York visa hub handles about 110,000 visa applications a year under the supervision of the UK Visas and Immigration Director based in New York. There are currently openings for a 3, 4, 5 and 6 month temporary Entry Clearance Assistants. Roles will start anytime between April-June 2017.
The International department of UK Visas and Immigration has responsibility for handling applications submitted overseas for Entry Clearance into the United Kingdom. The International department has a strong history for cutting edge innovation. It has set the standard in the use of biometrics, commercial partners and excellent customer service.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Accurate data entry
- Processing mailed visa applications for presentation to a senior officer
- Printing and dispatching visas
- Accepting and processing applications from visa customers
- Delivery of first class customer service
- Maintaining an orderly filing system and securely disposing of sensitive data when required
- Clerical and other administrative duties as required – some of which will involve lifting and carrying heavy boxes.
- Dealing with General Email Enquiries from Customers
- Strong customer focus skills
- Ability to lift boxes of approximately 25 lbs on a daily basis
- Ability to work as part of a team to meet published customer service targets and individually to meet challenging productivity targets
- Ability to work flexibly on a wide range of administrative tasks required by the business, often at short notice
- Ability to work shift patterns between the hours of 7.30am and 6.00pm Monday through Friday as required
Satisfactory IT and typing skills are essential for this post. You will be expected to provide evidence of typing skills of at least 25 words per minute (i.e. the Pitman elementary level typing speed).
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy Network may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas.
- Fluency in Spanish language
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
Internal candidates should address their resumes through their line managers before applying. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
Selection will be by interview and written exercise.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.