View Vacancy - Policy Advisor
To develop, implement and lead political engagement in the States of Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana. This job-holder will be expected to cultivate networks of contacts in State legislatures, Congressional offices, commentators and think tanks, drawing in support from the Consul General and other members of the team as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Deputising for the Consul General at occasional representational and speaking events.
- Regular reporting and analysis of key political and economic developments in the region with a bearing on UK interests. Specific tasking will be subject to change but is likely to include reporting and analysis of trade policy developments, including US/Mexico trade relations, NAFTA and State and City-level approaches towards infrastructure investment; tracking State level approaches to climate change; and work to support UK values including towards the use of the death penalty.
- Supporting the Head of Press and Public Affairs on targeted communication and engagement campaigns in support of UK economic and prosperity interests. The range of issues will vary but for 2017 contribution to speech material and op-ed pieces as needed.
- Shared responsibility for strategic oversight and practical delivery of occasional VIP visit programmes linked to the job-holder’s areas of responsibility.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree required
• Minimum 3-5 years business, commercial, legal, NGO or government relevant experience
• A strong background in Political, Press or Public Relations is desirable, as are connections to relevant stakeholders.
• Must be able to represent the Embassy at external meetings and win the confidence of senior US officials, business leaders, and UK government ministers.
• Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills are required, together with an ability to work well with others on a wide range of issues;
• Flexibility in a team setting and the ability to work independently. Experience of working as part of a networked team spread across locations is desirable.
• Clear and concise oral and written skills are essential, and ability to explain complex issues to diverse audiences.
• The job-holder will be expected to travel within the US and to the UK on a regular basis.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy Network may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas.
- Graduate degree in a relevant field
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Individuals who are Green Card holders, UK/US dual citizens, and non US taxpaying citizens will be paid a net salary based on a simulated US tax status.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by 06 June 2017. Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis as required. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must inform the Head of Group before applying.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or other category protected by law
This opportunity is closed to applications.