View Vacancy - Communications Coordinator
The British Embassy is seeking a Communications Coordinator to join its 12-person team in Washington, D.C. The ideal candidate will be an energetic team player who combines strategic awareness with a strong command of detail. They should also enjoy producing high calibre communications campaigns while working in a fast-paced environment. This position works with the media and public to explain and champion British policies to a U.S. audience through media relations, digital outreach, and strategic communications campaigns. The Communications Coordinator, working closely with communications colleagues in Washington and New York, will promote the UK Government’s economic and prosperity agenda as well as highlighting British innovation and creativity. This position will often support on media and communications logistics for major events, projects, and visits by UK ministers and senior officials.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support and implement strategic campaign plans and communications outreach on a number of UK government policy issues, including promoting the UK economy and UK-US trade links and highlighting British innovation and creativity.
- Collaborate with policy colleagues across the Embassy, in London, and Consulates throughout the US, as well as external stakeholders, to develop and implement strategies and projects for the promotion of priority UK messages.
- Coordinate press interviews, blog posts, press releases and briefings with Embassy colleagues.
- Support, and occasionally lead, on media logistics for major events, projects, or visits, including at the Embassy and Ambassador’s Residence.
- Build relationships with relevant media contacts to deliver media placements—in traditional and digital outlets—on relevant issues for the UK government, ambassador, and British officials. Track and analyze perceptions of the UK in the US through metrics and success indicators during business hours.
- Demonstrate strategic skills, confidence, and ability to interact face-to-face with senior staff and occasionally brief the ambassador and visiting British ministers.
- At least three years experience in public relations or communications experience in a government, agency, or in-house setting.
- A track record of positive media coverage, and examples of self-generated media placements, including in traditional media and digital media outlets.
- Fluency and familiarity with the Embassy’s core social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) to facilitate collaborative activities and for occasional support of team’s Head of Digital
- Strong command of the English language, with attention to detail and excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills. A demonstrated ability to write clearly, accurately, and persuasively.
- Ability to multi-task and manage long-term and short-term projects from start to finish. Excellent time-management and organizational skills.
- A creative self-starter with excellent team-working and interpersonal skills.
- An interest and knowledge in international economics and trade.
- Flexibility to work occasional evening and weekend events.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts.
The hourly salary for this position is based on an annual salary of $45,864 working 40 hours per week.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
Resume and a cover letter should be submitted by 19 June 2017. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must inform their Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy and its Consulates are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.