View Vacancy - Consular Assistant, Milan (ITA471)
The British Consulate General in Milan is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Consular Assistant to support the Consular team in delivering their objectives and offer front line assistance to British Nationals in distress.
The successful candidate will be responsible for dealing with customers at the counter, by phone and email who find themselves in various degrees of difficulty overseas and require assistance. This may, on occasion, involve dealing with highly emotive or distressed customers. The selected candidate must be committed to delivering professional and efficient customer service and deliver on our consular strategy.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Dealing with customers with a range of issues (from lost passports, stolen items, no funds to often serious cases with customers displaying mental health issues).
- Issuing Emergency Travel Documents which also involves handling cash and credit card payments.
- Providing administrative support to the Consular team, including:
- Responding to customer enquiries and letters from local authorities, which require excellent levels of both written and oral Italian and English;
- Responsibility for the upkeep of the waiting area;
- Operating cash register and reconciliation of funds;
- Postal duties including processing prison comforts;
- Dealing with return of lost property and recovered documentation;
- Maintaining records in accordance with policy involving filing, weeding and shredding;
- Providing crisis awareness and assistance during emergency situations;
- Forming part of the European South Network (staff have an opportunity to share best practice, develop skills and volunteer to work on various project opportunities).
- Language skills: Italian and English at C1 level or above under the Common European Framework of References for Languages;
- Minimum 1 year customer service experience;
- Previous professional experience in Consular work or Customer service;
- Proven administration work, front line customer service, attention to detail, analytical and problem solving;
- Ability to work in target driven and organised team environment;
- Effective work and time management;
- IT skills (Microsoft Windows and MS Office).
- Availability to travel and flexible to work additional hours.
- University degree.
Terms and Conditions
This is a full-time temporary position with a contract of 24 months, with a possibility to renew, graded A1 (L).
The monthly gross salary is Euro 1,807. The salary is paid monthly 14 times per year including € 10.33 EDR paid 13 times per year.
Working hours are 35 hrs per week Monday to Friday 09.00-17.00. Some degree of flexibility is expected.
All staff employed by the British Consulate General are subject to Italian income tax rate deductions (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General Milan are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Italian employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.