View Vacancy - Personal Assistant to Consul General (DEU584)
The British Consulate General Dusseldorf is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a part-time Personal Assistant to Consul General Dusseldorf.
The main purpose of the position is to provide administrative support to the Consul General. The job holder will be responsible for the organisation of the Consul-General’s programme and visits to the Düsseldorf area by VIP and senior visitors. He/she will manage the Consul General’s expenditure and expense claims. He/she will also support the Consul General on arrangements for official overnight guests at the Residence and will work closely with the events manager on organising events and activities at the Residence.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- set up and coordinate all internal and external meetings and appointments for the Consul General (CG); and to organise visit and transport programme arrangements for the CG and senior visitors from the UK and the Germany network; to coordinate the preparation of briefing papers, reports and presentations for the CG with other team members;
- handle English and German written correspondence and telephone enquiries and provide general administrative support on behalf of the CG, including arranging all-team meetings and video and conferences;
- liaise with the Embassy’s press and public affairs team on the CG’s media and public diplomacy activity;
- maintain and keep up to date the CG’s diary, team calendar and contacts database;
- develop effective relationships with the offices of key business, political and administrative contacts;
- support the CG and the events manager in the organisation of events and activities at the Residence;
- handle bookings of official overnight guests at the Residence;
- purchase and maintain lists of goods for official use at the Residence for overnight guests and events;
- liaise with the Residence cleaners on preparing rooms for official overnight guests and in providing waiting and cleaning services at Residence events; to supervise the moving of furniture for events as required;
- carry out other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competences of the job.
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent spoken and written English and German (minimum of C2 level for CEFR framework*);
- Previous experience in a similar role;
- Good IT skills, especially Outlook (email and calendar), MS Word and Excel.
- A valid full driving licence for Germany;
- Budget management experience;
- Familiarity with social media e.g. Twitter and Facebook.
This is a part-time position of five working days, 26.5 hours per week, for a fixed term contract of 2 years.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Germany. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorization for Germany in order to apply. The British Consulate General does not sponsor for work permits.
Staff recruited by the British Consulate General are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to German employment law.
The British Consulate General has a strong ethos of Learning and Development, including our Learning and Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all British Consulate General staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the British Consulate General, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the Embassy’s positive working environment.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Consulate General will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview (including Security Check), nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.