View Vacancy - Senior Trade Adviser B3(L)
The British Embassy Kuwait has a vacancy for the post of a Local Staff Senior Trade Adviser, Grade – B3 (L).
Purpose of the job:
Based in the British Embassy Kuwait, the successful candidate will work in the Department for International Trade (DIT) team and support the Director DIT and Ambassador in promoting the UK’s trade agenda.
As a member of the DIT team, he/she will work alongside the Director, Deputy Director, and colleagues to deliver on DIT’s targets, to support UK companies wishing to export and those already in Kuwait to win more business. It is important that the candidate possess good communication skills including report writing, summaries, and briefs. There will be a requirement from time to time to work outside of normal working hours and travel overseas for training, briefing, and representing the DIT team in Kuwait at exhibitions, trade fairs, and seminars. There will be occasions where public speaking is required.
The successful candidate will lead on the Oil & Gas Sector by championing opportunities for UK companies in Kuwait while also identifying potential leads on future projects. You will also need to work closely with the Energy lead for the region, sector colleagues in DIT HQ, and in the GCC. You would be required to possess a good understanding of the tendering and procurement processes in the K-companies and their operations. You will also need to engage with and support the Kuwait British Business Centre (KBBC) which is collocated in the British Embassy and whose focus is to support UK SME’s.
Duties and responsibilities:
Deliver a Regional Oil & Gas Campaign (70%)
- Focus on developing relationships within the K-Companies, EPC contractors and trading companies with an aim of securing timely market intelligence and business wins;
- Spend time meeting and researching the K-companies, trading companies, EPC contractors and oil field support service companies operating in the sector and prepare a stakeholder map giving the Director an insight into the procurement opportunities and processes;
- Develop an understanding on how K-companies procure, and how they operate the approved vendors list including registering international companies on the Vendors list and the distinction between K-companies and EPC procurement
- Build a positive working relationship with Oil & Gas leads in the region and the DIT HQ sector team; identify export opportunities.
Sector Lead: Renewable Energy (20%)
- Research the Renewable Energy sector in Kuwait by engaging with relevant government entities like MEW, KFAS, KOC with a view to gaining sector knowledge and posting commercial opportunities for UK plc
- Build a network of contacts in the sector by continuously engaging with sector leads in DIT HQ and the region and UK companies that operate in the renewable energy sector.
- Liaise and coordinate with the Renewable Energy lead based in Dubai on events, funding, resources and key activities
Delivery partners: (5%)
- Work closely with the Kuwait British Business Centre (KBBC) to support UK Business, sharing of information and meeting companies when required.
Representational duties: (5%)
- On occasion attend out of hours social networking functions; supporting Director DIT and wider Embassy in developing and maintaining relationship with wider local commercial contacts.
- Attend relevant trade fairs and exhibitions in Kuwait and overseas promoting opportunities in Kuwait market to UK companies
- Support Director DIT on VIP visit programmes
Key competences required for the job:
- Delivering at Pace: Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Seeing the Big Picture: Seeing the big picture is about having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs.
- Managing a Quality Service: Effectiveness in this area is about valuing and modelling professional excellence and expertise to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Achieving Commercial Outcomes: Being effective in this area is about maintaining an economic, long-term focus in all activities. For all, it’s about having a commercial, financial and sustainable mindset to ensure all activities and services are delivering added value and working to stimulate economic growth.
- Strong oral, written, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Degree level education
- Knowledge of local business customs, practices and procedures as well as commercial regulations and restrictions
- Knowledge of Kuwait Company structure
- Have an engineering and/or Oil & Gas background
- Good general IT skills: use of word processing, email and calendar management (e.g., knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes such as Word, Excel and Outlook). Internet-based research skills.
- Arabic language skills (written and spoken) whilst not essential, are an advantage.
- Knowledge of commercial sectors and markets in jobholders areas of responsibility
- Knowledge of UK Oil & Gas supply chain
Working Conditions and Remuneration:
The position is full-time, at 38 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances.
The successful candidate will be expected to start work as soon as possible depending on the outcome of the security clearance.
Pay is on the Embassy B3(L) scale, at KD 913.860 per month. The package also includes a good level of health insurance and an engaging working environment.
We offer opportunities to develop professional skills through our Learning & Development offer.
Leave entitlement is 25 days plus 14 public holidays.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as along as you:
- Are legally resident in Kuwait;
- Complete local security checks.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents along with the completed online application form:
- An updated Curriculum Vita (CV).
- Please provide a Motivation/ Cover Letter (max. 600 words) explaining why you think you would be a good fit for the role..
*** Your application must include the above attachments and should include the answers to the mentioned question. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected.
All applications must be received before 23:55 (local time) on 10 January 2018.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered. Due to the large amount of applications we receive, only those shortlisted for assessment will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
The appointment will also only be confirmed after a successful 3-months probation period.
The British Embassy Kuwait is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce, and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Kuwaiti employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.