View Vacancy - CONSULAR OFFICER , A2, Berlin (DEU18.683)
The British Consular Network in Berlin is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Consular Officer.
This job is also available in Alicante, Amsterdam, Athens, Barcelona, Berlin, Berne, Bordeaux, Bratislava, Brussels, Budapest, Copenhagen, Dusseldorf, Helsinki, Las Palmas, Lisbon, Luxembourg, Malaga, Marseille, Munich, Oslo, Palma, Paris, Prague, Reykjavik, Rome, Stockholm, Tallinn, Tenerife, Vienna and Warsaw as well. If you are interested in applying to more than one location (s), you should submit an application for each by searching the name of the location you are interested in and click on “Apply”.
The main purpose of the job is to help provide resilience to our consular networks across Europe. We need dynamic, well-organised people with a passion for customer service to offer clear guidance and assistance to UK nationals as the UK leaves the EU. The roles will cover many aspects of consular and the work that the Embassy leads on. Candidates should note that the functions of these will need to adapt to shifting priorities and operational objectives. The sort of responsibilities that these roles will cover will include:
- Giving UK nationals information to help them follow procedures necessary after the UK leaves the EU;
- Be a point of contact for internal and external stakeholders and colleagues;
- Receive and appropriately escalate enquiries relating to consular assistance cases;
- Notarising documents for UK nationals required by Member States;
- Providing consular support to UK nationals in hospital;
- Assisting victims of crime providing help, support and guidance;
- Providing support to British nationals arrested or detained;
- Providing a critical support function for consular and other Embassy teams;
- Ability to travel to neighbouring countries (where necessary) to offer resilience to other consular teams in the one or both of the European consular networks;
- Other tasks that support UK nationals as the UK leaves the EU.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Provide a high level of consular assistance and support to British Nationals in a range of situations including hospitalisations, death, arrest, rape and sexual assault, financial difficulties, missing persons and child custody;
Liaison with local contacts such as funeral directors, police, courts, prisons, hospital and town hall social workers as well as key stakeholders, charities and support organisations in order to provide assistance to British Nationals;
Process appointments for consular services and update information on case management received from customers and via escalated cases from the Consular Contact Centre.
- Fluency in English and German (written and spoken, minimum of C2 level for CEFR framework*);
- Proven customer service experience of at least three years and a strong sense of customer service delivery, including an ability to support customers in difficult or traumatic situations.
- Knowledge of the local system;
- Excellent communication and customer service skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues throughout Europe and the UK;
- Attention to detail, strong analytical perspective and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work at pace and prioritise, managing an often heavy workload;
- IT skills (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel);
- Valid passport.
- Experience of assisting British nationals overseas;
- Experience of influencing and engaging key stakeholders and local authorities;
- An understanding of the issues that British nationals (tourists and residents) may face;
- Driving licence;
- Available to work out of hours and to travel abroad when required.
This is a full-time, fixed-term contract for 6 months months.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Germany are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
The British Embassy in Berlin has a strong ethos of Learning and Development, including our Learning and Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all Embassy staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the Embassy’s positive working environment.
Visa/passport requirements: Must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please be advised that Consular positions at the FCO entail dealing with casework in situations that may involve death, detention, rape, assault, post-mortems, prison visits and highly distressed customers. Candidates should therefore have a high level of resilience to trauma.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
FCO does not pay for travel related expense incurred in interviews (including Security Check) or accept any financial risk, including cancelation or reschedule costs. The FCO will not meet the costs connected with relocation if offered a position
This opportunity is closed to applications.