View Vacancy - Defence Local Assistant and Translator/Interpreter
The British Embassy in Tunis currently has a vacancy for a Defence Local Assistant and Translator/Interpreter, Grade – A2 (L).
Main purpose of job:
The jobholder will be required to provide interpretation, translation services and staff support to the Defence Section to ensure delivery of the team’s objectives.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Accompany the DA or designated individual on a one HMG basis, to meetings and act as interpreter.
• Identify requirement for and arranging meetings for the Section.
• Maintaining the Embassy Defence and Security contacts database.
• Online Media research to keep Defence Section up to date with events in the Defence and Security sector in general and the Tunisian MOD/MOI in particular.
• Provide advice to the DA and wider embassy on maintaining a network of Defence and Security Contacts.
• Build and maintain a network of contacts across the Defence and Security Environment. Use the network to deepen understanding of Tunisian Defence and Security developments and to help deliver the Embassy’s and Defence Section’s objectives.
• Liaise closely with the DA to manage the schedule of meetings.
• Translate letters from French and Arabic to English and vice versa.
• Identify, develop and maintain links with Tunisian Defence and Security officials, senior officials and international partners.
• Provide basic level analysis on Tunisian Defence and Security matters.
• Assist in the preparation of members of the Tunisian defence and Security Forces nominated for training courses in the UK.
• Arrange travel and visa matters for Tunisian Defence and Security officials.
• Be prepared to action, through the Tunisian government, requests for diplomatic clearance for UK military aircraft to over-fly or land in Tunisia.
• General office duties and ad hoc duties as required on one HMG basis.
• Arrange travel for the Defence Attaché as appropriate to his duties.
Key competencies required:
• Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
• Leading and Communicating - Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. It’s about supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
• Making Effective Decisions - Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgment, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
• Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
• High level of proficiency in English, French and Arabic both oral and written
• Excellent writing and translation skills
• Working IT skills and literacy in Microsoft office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
• Previous work experience with good reference
• Must be a strong self-starter, energetic and able to handle several strands of work in parallel in a high pressure environment
Working hours and remuneration:
Conditioned working hours are 40 hours gross per week. Standard working hours are from 08:00-16:30 from Monday to Thursday and 08:00-13:00 on Fridays; this may not be the case all the time depending on daily Defence Section’s routine and other commitments. Flexible working can be considered though would have to address Defence Section meeting requirements. And must be prepared to work late hours occasionally.
The British Embassy in Tunisia offers an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role. Initial salary will be TND 1,691 per month while on probation. Salary after probation is TND 2,092. This is a Full-time, Permanent Contract.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90-day probationary period.
The appointment will also be subject to satisfactory local and UK security clearances.
Candidate must be eligible to work and reside in Tunisia immediately.
Interested candidates must include the following items along with the completed online application form:
1. An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
2. A Covering Letter
Applications that do not include these will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 23:55 (local time) on 01 December 2018. Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of job applications the Embassy receives, only those shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
The start date mentioned is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
The British Embassy Tunis is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.