View Vacancy - Head of Department for International Trade - C4
Main purpose of job:
The UK Department for International Trade (DIT) is establishing a new office in Kathmandu to strengthen the bilateral trade relationship between the UK and Nepal. Based at the British Embassy, DIT Nepal will work to increase UK exports to Nepal; support British investments in the country; and encourage greater inward investment from Nepal to the UK.
We are recruiting the first-ever DIT Nepal officer to support this crucial work. The Head of DIT Nepal will play a crucial role in establishing the office within the Embassy, developing crucial relationships and driving delivery against ambitious trade and investment targets. You will work across an established Embassy network, which includes colleagues working on prosperity and international development, supporting a multi-sector approach (initial priority sectors are infrastructure, tourism, banking and finance/fintech, skills and education).
The successful candidate will have significant autonomy, leading on annual business planning, supporting visiting delegations and other high-level activity as it emerges. They will also support the local Chamber of Commerce to champion the cause of British businesses in Nepal. They will provide aftercare for UK companies in Nepal, working with the Nepalese Government on their behalf.
The successful candidate will be the Embassy’s expert on UK businesses and business practice, and UK sectors relevant to Nepal (particularly infrastructure, tourism, banking and finance/fintech, skills and education). They will work closely with DIT colleagues in the region to ensure strong information-sharing and maximising commercial opportunities across the South Asian region.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Proactively build market intelligence and a network of business contacts in Nepal in order to support UK companies in market.
- Identify and chase export opportunities in the priority sectors and support UK companies to secure these.
- Act as sector lead for Finance, Infrastructure and Education/Skills.
- Work across the British Embassy to lobby on behalf of UK companies in Nepal.
- Representational work as and when required.
- Act as Communication and Marketing Lead for DIT Nepal
- Supervise annual budget returns to ensure spending within 1% of budget forecast.
- Support on annual Business Planning, Ministerial Engagement, Business Climate activity.
- Act as DIT liaison for the British Business Group and ensure it champions the cause of British business.
- Actively participate in meetings and briefings of relevance to the role.
Language: Nepali, English
Level of language required: Native Nepali speaker, fluent English speaker
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
This position does not currently have line management responsibilities but this could change in the future. There will be a small travel budget to manage.
Learning and development opportunities:
The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office offers multiple development opportunities for its staff. This ranges from in-house training for e.g. crisis response, to distance learning university courses on a range of subjects. The type of training undertaken by the Officer will vary depending on the Officer and business need.
Other skills / experience / qualifications:
- A degree (or equivalent). Preferably in Economics, Trade, Business Administration.
- Proven skills in operations management and people management.
- Proficiency in IT, especially MS Office (specifically Excel and Power Point) and Outlook.
- Availability for business travel within and outside the country.
- Relevant professional experience of working effectively with both the private and public sectors.
- Experience of Business Development or related activities.
- Evidence of working on international issues, or though international networks.
- Understanding of key drivers of business decisions and public sector.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills. IELTS band level 7.5 is preferable.
For British Embassy candidates, the Local Staff BE Terms & Conditions will apply. For candidates external to the British Embassy, the total annual remuneration package for this position is NPR 1,981,472, + 10% Provident Fund Contribution. There is a limited amount of scope for salary flexibility depending on the candidate’s experience.
The successful candidate will be provided with annual leave, maternity/paternity and membership in the Embassy, medical benefits scheme as per the Terms & Conditions of Services. The British Embassy in Kathmandu is part of a worldwide network of 240 Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.
Please note applications without (a), (b) and (c) will not be considered.
a) Complete the Online Application Form.
b) Attach a detailed CV.
c) Complete the Motivation Segment and competency based question in the Online Application Form.
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) and also inform their current line managers. Else the application will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by “29th May 2019” midnight.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.