View Vacancy - Embassy events planner and Residence co-ordinator ( 01/24 KSH )
We are looking for an events planner and Residence Coordinator to manage events across the wider Embassy and in the Ambassador’s Residence and. This is an important and fast-paced role within the British Embassy, working directly to one of the UK’s most senior diplomats, whereby the jobholder will be required to provide a high level of support to fit in with both family and official demands. The quality of work provided by this role has a great impact on the Residence team and wider Embassy teams. An ability to build respectful and trusting working relations is essential.
The role includes organising official events across the Embassy and at the Ambassador’s Residence, looking after VIP official Residence guests, managing the Residence staff, and overseeing maintenance and repairs of the property alongside the Residence manager. The events planner and Residence Coordinator will also provide effective leadership to the Residence team to deliver first class events, including lunches, dinners, breakfasts, and receptions for several hundred guests, in both formal and informal settings. Staff management will include providing coaching to the Residence team on a regular basis and arranging appropriate training.
Roles and responsibilities
- Ensure value for money relating to procurement for all Embassy events, ensuring proper record-keeping of expenditure in liaison with Corporate Services.
- Managing arrangements for official VIP guests, houseguests, and visitors to Residence for meetings, and ensuring their needs are met.
- Design and deliver events including working with the Residence manager on menu planning, themes and décor/setups, staffing, placement, and catering.
- Arranging outside caterers as and when necessary for events.
- Functions – writing and sending invitations, confirming guest numbers, welcoming guests to the event, handling last-minute changes of plan, ensuring all arrangements for the event are in place.
- Management of Residence staff, supervising Residence staff, organising their duty rosters and overseeing overtime, TOIL, leave, uniforms, etc.
- King’s Birthday Party – assist with invitations, supervision of all arrangements for the event.
- Responsible for food & drink inventories and replenishment.
- Liaise with Estates Teams for maintenance and repairs of the Residence and other event spaces.
- Record keeping of contacts, menus, guest lists, events, room layouts, gift register for Embassy.
- Respond to complaints, reports and requests.
- Qualification in hospitality and previous experience in event management
- University degree in relevant field
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience
- Previous experience of managing a small team
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook
- Good personal presentation and discretion
- Excellent English– both written and spoken
- Ability to work under pressure and remain calm
- Friendly, confident and able to work with minimal supervision
- Driving License
The events planner and Residence Coordinator will manage 3 x Residence staff as well as
Managing the Residence cash and keep track of expense records in liaison with Corporate Services.
You may be asked to work outside of regular working hours
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- The British Embassy does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of 12 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.