View Vacancy - Communications Manager (MKD20.119)
The British Embassy in Republic of North Macedonia is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas, and is now looking for a Communications Manager based in Skopje.
The successful candidate will lead British Embassy Skopje’s communications work in support of the Country Business Plan and objectives.
The job holder will develop engaging campaigns and digital content to explain, promote and advance UK policy in Republic of North Macedonia. He/she will coordinate closely with the Ambassador and Embassy colleagues to improve effective communications across all teams.
Further support is expected to be provided for the organisation of events including the drafting of communication pieces as necessary.
Roles and responsibilities:
• Developing and implementing an integrated communication strategy in line with the UK foreign policy and in collaboration with Embassy teams, British council, and FCO Communication Directorate;
• Providing advice and support to the Ambassador and other network colleagues to enable them to use communications in order to deliver their objectives, sharing best practice across teams;
• Forging and fostering good working relationships with a diverse network of contacts in the media industry in North Macedonia. Also, providing advice on media handling, for example in response to enquiries or interview requests;
• Drafting and publishing content (statements, photos, video, infographics) on Embassy digital media channels, as well as writing speeches, press lines, and other material to be used by Embassy colleagues, as required;
• Providing advice on the media landscape in Republic of North Macedonia, including in designing the Embassy’s participation in UK government campaigns (e.g. the FCO’s Media Freedom campaign);
• Analysing and reporting on daily developments reported in the media in Republic of North Macedonia;
• Providing support in organising events with the collaboration of other Embassy colleagues in order to maximise the Embassy’s public diplomacy e.g. regional visits, receptions with media contacts;
• Management of the Embassy’s communications budget and oversight of the campaign funding;
• Line management responsibilities of one team member.
• University degree or equivalent;
• Proficiency in both spoken and written English and Macedonian according to the Common European Framework level C2 or above or equivalent;
• Experience of working with media, government and international organisations;
• Ability to develop a strong network of contacts;
• Proficiency with different types of digital media (e.g. digital images and video, social media, digital data and databases);
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in and across diverse teams;
• Strong IT skills with Microsoft Office package;
• Flexibility to work out of hours or travel as required (for which time off in lieu is granted).
• Photo and video-editing skills;
• Previous experience in supporting with the organisation of events / conferences / visits;
• Good knowledge of the media landcape in Republic of North Macedonia would be an advantage;
• An interest in UK-North Macedonia relations.
This is a full-time fixed-term contract of 12 months with possibility of renewal of 5 working days per week. Working hours are Monday to Thursday from 8:00 to 16:30 and Friday from 08:00 to 13:00.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Skopje are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local (Republic of North Macedonia) employment law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in the Republic of North Macedonia. The British Embassy does not sponsor work permits.
Visa/Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Republic of North Macedonia and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary after 31st December 2020.
Learning and Development Opportunities:
The British Embassy places a strong focus on learning and development therefore, the successful candidate will be offered relevant training courses, mentoring, coaching and other opportunities to ensure they have the skills they need to perform their job. Initially these will be focused on media and communication skills.
The jobholder will be encouraged to continue to develop their skills through a variety of techniques, and will be expected to complete the Diplomatic Academy Foundation Course – providing an introduction to knowledge and skills necessary for those working for the UK government overseas.
Please note: Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Please be advised, that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
FCO does not pay for travel related expense incurred in interviews or accept any financial risk, including cancelation or reschedule costs. The FCO will not meet the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
This opportunity is closed to applications.