View Vacancy - Francophone Africa Translator A1 (02/22 YAO)
Main purpose of job:
The British High Commission is looking for a translator to join our team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing translations for our embassies/missions across Francophone Africa. They will be expected to translate external communication material for regional campaigns as well as official documents.
We are looking for a responsible self-starter who can also work well in a team managing competing demands. In return, they will be a key member of the mission and the wider British diplomatic network. This is a chance to be engaged in an international environment, work on a number of projects and learn about British diplomacy.
This position will focus providing accurate and timely translation of communications and official material. There will also be opportunities to cover for other roles in the British High Commission.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Translating official documents
- Translating communications material
- Administrative tasks, including logging translation requests
- Engaging with the regional communication hub based in Pretoria to manage translation requests
- Engaging with other posts in the region to provide them with timely translations
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) in both English and French
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in professional translation
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and multi-task effectively
- Good team-working skills and the ability to develop productive relationships with other teams around the network
- Relevant qualification and/or relevant experience
- Familiarity with UK culture
- Please note this is one position advertised in two regions, the successful candidate will be based in either Dakar or Yaounde.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Yaounde are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Cameroon.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- 1.Obtain the relevant permit
- 2.Pay the fees for the permit
- 3.Make arrangements to relocate
- 4.Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles
- Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.