View Vacancy - Translator/Press and Communications Manager (ITA Ref.737)
The British Embassy in Rome is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Translator/Press and Communications Manager working in the Communications, Press and Media team.
The successful candidate will act as the main Embassy translator and press and public affairs officer with a lead on a number of comms campaigns.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Translate speeches, articles, infographics, tweets, press releases, ministerial letters and other documents for internal or external communications (mostly from English into Italian);
- Proofreading of texts written in Italian by non-native speakers. Occasional translations from Italian into English;
- Contribute to the design and implementation of strategic communications for specific policy campaigns, ranging from prosperity and growth to foreign policy;
- Contribute to the handling of the Embassy’s social media channels. Occasional shooting and editing of photos and videos for campaigns or before and during Embassy events;
- Draft media briefs, interviews, articles, press releases. Occasional contact with journalists;
- Produce written summaries in English of news stories, editorials and interviews from a number of Italian media outlets; occasional delivery to the Embassy senior managers of short oral presentations in Italian or English of the key news of the day;
- Assist and advise Embassy senior managers in the delivery of important or sensitive messages to staff;
- Promote best practice and innovation in engaging and motivating staff and in the use of existing internal communication channels;
- Contributing to the wider corporate management of the Italy Network, and active participation in crisis planning activities.
- Spoken and written English at C1 level or above of the Common European Framework (or equivalent);
- Spoken and written Italian at C1 level or above of the Common European Framework (or equivalent);
- Able to deliver an excellent quality service and to deal with internal and external customers/partners at all levels of seniority;
- Able to work in a dynamic team with changing priorities and with a flexible approach;
- Be eager to learn and think of new ways of delivering the expected results;
- Strong in delivering results often to tight deadlines and with excellent self-organisation and attention to detail;
- Be able to listen, understand, respect and accept the value of different views, ideas and ways of working, so as to ensure the successful delivery of internal and external communications;
- Be able to design and implement policy communication campaigns using a wide range of tools.
- Knowledge of and interest in the Italian, UK and international news, media and political scene;
- Basic photo and video editing skills;
- Previous experience within a government organisation.
The appointment is subject to security clearance and the successful completion of a probationary period of 4 months.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Rome is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Italian employment law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Italy. The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits.
All staff employed by the British Embassy are subject to Italian income tax rate deductions (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme.
This opportunity is closed to applications.