View Vacancy - Bilateral and Cultural Officer (DEU18.137)
The British Embassy in Berlin is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Bilateral and Cultural Officer to support Embassy work to strengthen ties between the people of UK and Germany and cooperation between our governments in the context of our departure from the EU as well as to help demonstrate the breadth and depth of the UK’s relationship with Germany.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help the Embassy develop initiatives to bring the people of UK and Germany together and to develop structures for cooperation between our governments. To organise events furthering links between the people of the UK and Germany, seeking partnerships with relevant organisations in the two countries, nurturing alumni networks etc;
- To support the Embassy’s management of UK-German programmes, e.g. UK-German Connection youth exchange programme;
- Assist in creation and maintenance of a database of UK-German cooperation in politics, science, business etc;
- Support the Embassy cultural officer in organisation of projects that celebrate UK-German cultural relations;
- Organise visits, e.g. by parliamentary committees, ensuring programmes and logistics are properly arranged. Provide support as necessary to Embassy Visits Officer;
- Contribute to Embassy communications, e.g. drafting Grußworte, social media messages etc on the UK-German relationship;
- To undertake other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job;
- Proficiency in English and German (both written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*) and strong communication skills;
- Excellent organisation skills;
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills;
- Customer focus, including the ability to work effectively with external stakeholders;
- The ability to work effectively in a team;
- The ability to respond flexibly to competing demands;
- IT proficiency, e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook;
- Experience of working with UK business, government or institutions;
- An interest in the UK-Germany relationship;
This is a full-time position of five working days 37.5 hours per week, for a contract period of two years.
The British Embassy in Berlin has a strong ethos of Learning and Development, including our Learning and Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all Embassy staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the Embassy’s positive working environment.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Germany. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorization for Germany in order to apply. The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Germany are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Proficiency Level which comprehends that a person understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning. Can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions. Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes. Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.