View Vacancy - Executive Assistant to Her Majesty’s Ambassador (HMA)
To provide scheduling, secretarial and administrative support to the Ambassador and Deputy Ambassador; Interface with senior protocol advisers and aides in Tunisian Ministries, The Presidency and PMs office and other Embassies and international organisations, businesses and public stakeholders; Organisation and management of the day-to-day running of their diary/offices; delegation of correspondence/invitations and close liaison with accompanying Close Protection team; Briefing coordination in support of the Ambassador and leadership of key events (such as the QBP, including commercial sponsorship for same, Remembrance Service, key conferences, major events, weekly Heads of Sections and other meetings, video conferences with UK and regional counterparts) as well as overall manager for all official events hosted at the Embassy and Residence.
- Organise the Ambassador’s diary, including setting up meetings, appointments and travel (in Tunisia and internationally).
- Protocol and senior engagement with Presidency, PM and key Minister’s offices (Private secretaries in MFA, MoI, Min of Justice, Min of Tourism mainly).
- Liaise with all other Embassy sections, MOD, NCA, Home Office, SO15, Libya team, the Residence Manager and RMP close protection team, and the British Council.
- Co-ordinate and organise Ambassador’s regional and UK visits – scrutinise logistics.
- Proactively commission and collate relevant paperwork and briefings.
- Handle the Ambassador’s correspondence, first port of call for calls, emails.
- Line management and CSO support
- Write/send Notes Verbales to Ministry of Foreign Affairs to request senior level calls.
- Lead on key events (QBP, Remembrance Day etc) identifying and mitigating risks and delegating activity (and then monitoring) appropriately.
- Fluent French required (Arabic advantageous but not compulsory).
- Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Leading and Communicating - Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm.
- Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Changing and Improving – People who are effective in this area are responsive, innovative and seek out opportunities to create effective change.
This is an extremely busy position with a varied workload in an Embassy of some 140 staff from across many differing Whitehall departments. The job requires professional experience, initiative and strong interpersonal and organisational skills. The successful candidate must be able to manage her/his own and the Ambassador’s/DHMs time effectively, and be able to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing in English and in French. S/he must also be able to plan ahead, prioritise timelines, and organise a busy (and constantly changing) diary. Flexibility and team-working are essential. Good self-starter, dynamic, accountable and creative thinker. Prepared to take responsibility for projects and see them through to conclusion.
- Prior experience working for a diplomatic mission.
- French and Arabic language
Total working hours per week according to the contract: 40 hours
Working Hours breakdown:
- Monday to Thursday: 08.00am- 04.30pm
- Friday : 08.00am – 01.00pm
- Public Holidays off as all staff unless special arrangement is needed
The British Embassy in Tunisia offers an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role. Initial salary will be TND 2904 per month while on probation. Salary after probation is TND 3594.
The British Embassy and Residence in Tunisia offers an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90 day probationary period.
The appointment is also subject to satisfactory local and UK security clearances.
Candidate must be eligible to work and reside in Tunisia immediately.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
1. An updated Curriculum Vitae.
2. Please provide examples of performance in each competency on the motivation section of the online application form or cover letter.
(Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
The successful candidate will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
The closing date for applications is 22nd March 2017. Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Interviews will be held at the British Embassy Office and we will only contact those who will be selected for interview.
The British Embassy in Tunis is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.