View Vacancy - Press Officer
The British Embassy in Tel-Aviv is seeking to recruit a Press Officer Grade B3 (L) to join its Communications Team. This is an excellent opportunity for a dynamic, eloquent and highly-motivated individual to play a key role in the Embassy’s media work. Reporting to the Head of Communications, the Press Officer will be the Embassy’s key contact with both the Israeli and international media. The job-holder will liaise with the media on issues like British policy, develop and oversee the implementation of the Embassy’s comms strategy for UK Israel bilateral relations, as well as help drive forward an ambitious programme of public events.
Responsibilities will include:
- Establish and maintain close contacts with a wide range of Israeli and UK journalists and commentators.
- Arrange interviews and identify speaking opportunities for Embassy and other British officials.
- Draft and issue press releases and statements on UK policies and Embassy activities.
- Ensure wide ranging and positive media coverage for official visits and events
- Develop and oversee the implementation of the Embassy’s comms strategy for UK Israel bilateral relations in Tech, Science and Trade.
- Occasionally draft op-eds and speeches for the Ambassador.
- Take part in the Embassy’s digital presence, including the website and social media channels.
- Oversee the production of daily Israeli press summaries for senior UK policy makers
Seeing the Big Picture – Seeing the big picture is about having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs.
Making Effective Decisions - Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgment, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
Leading and Communicating – Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm.
Collaborating & Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
Managing a Quality Service - Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
Essential experience and qualifications:
- BA required (preferably in communications or a related field).
- At least three years of relevant experience, such as working with media in a PR company, or other related communications positions.
- Experience in social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc).
- Knowledge of and contacts in the Israeli press including in the financial media.
- Creativity, flexibility and excellent communications skills.
- Proven organisational and administrative skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment.
- Motivation and enthusiasm to work as part of a small, agile, ambitious team.
- Good IT skills, including the ability to quickly learn new programmes.
- Fluent spoken and written language skills in English and Hebrew.
The successful candidate will need to be able to demonstrate:
- Experience in writing speeches and op-eds
- Familiarity with the UK media based in Israel and Jewish media in the UK
- Strategic awareness of UK-Israel relations and the role of the British Embassy in delivering UK objectives
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including the salary of ILS 10,954 per month plus social benefits. Parking facilities will not be provided or paid for by the Embassy.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Working hours are Monday to Thursday, 8:00 – 16:00 and Friday 8:00-13:30, with some flexibility required including occasional evening events.
The appointment will be subject to security clearance and a probationary period of 4 months.
The position is available immediately.
Candidate should be able to work legally in Israel.
The closing date for applications will be 19th July 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
1. An updated Curriculum Vitae.
2. Please provide examples of performance in each competency on the motivation
section of the online application form or cover letter.
(Your application must include examples in your cover letter of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for assessment will be contacted. Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified.
The selection process will include an interview and a written exercise.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances
The British Embassy Tel Aviv is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.