View Vacancy - Electrician S1 (04/19 NR)
Main purpose of job:
To safely perform, Electrical: Planned preventative maintenance (PPM), reactive maintenance, fault finding, design, construction and inspection & test to Low Voltage (LV) equipment & installations across the British High Commission estate in and around Nairobi and on occasion overseas in accordance with Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) guidance and standards.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Carry out planned maintenance activities, projects, refurbishments and react to electrical breakdowns or faults in a timely, professional & customer focused manner.
- Execute repairs and works safely and in accordance with the quality standards of the FCO, industry best practice, British standards and Kenyan electrical regulations & requirements where applicable to LV domestic / housing electrical works and light industrial / commercial plant and equipment.
- Take ownership of electrical projects, repairs and renewals / re-wires, producing technical reports, accurate time frames for completion of works, outlining all resources required, start date, end date, project milestones and dependencies.
- Safely perform electrical testing and produce electrical installation condition reports or electrical installation certificates as required and on completion of works.
- Lead and mentor colleagues in electrical methods including design, installation, inspection & test.
- Liaise with technical & non-technical colleagues to provide updates on works progress in a suitable language that is understood by all parties.
- Actively contribute to safe working practices and ensure all work is undertaken safely by self and others.
- Identify materials required and create work package(s) for refurbishment, improvement, renewal and re-wire to ensure the electrical installation meets the electrical compliance standards of the FCO, the current edition of BS7671, Kenyan electrical regulations & requirements where applicable and any other relevant standard(s).
- Produce comprehensive bills of materials and estimates of costs for high quality electrical components, labour and materials.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement in all areas of work to achieve best value for money, safety compliance and standards of build.
- Typically duties may include: Routine electrical maintenance (LV), electrical design for small projects, electrical construction, test & inspection, undertaking full building re-wires, fault finding, Consumer Board & Distribution Board replacement, repairs to installations, installation of circuit accessories, Industrial Control panel repairs / modification, repairs and replacement to wiring in commercial buildings and special locations (swimming pools etc.) Working at height and outside work may be required on occasion including on high risk plant (e.g. Sewerage Plant).
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- On occasion the job holder may be required to act as team lead and supervise colleagues and contractors.
- On occasion the job holder may be required to procure materials from suppliers or assist in raising Purchase Orders.
- Electrical: Fault finding, construction & installation methods (Commercial & Domestic), Industrial controls, Risk assessment, creating Method Statements. Can demonstrate over Six years of hands on LV Electrical work experience. IT / Computer literate. Holder of Driving Licence.
- HV experience (highly desirable), LV Inspection & Test (highly desirable). Apprentice trained Electrician.
- Able to Multi-Skill and has experience of leading a team (highly desirable)
Any other information:
The successful candidate will be expected to represent the TWG, as such it is expected that the individual must be approachable, a team member, customer focussed, polite and professional at all times.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
BS7671 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations
Monday to Thursday 07.30 – 17.30
Friday 07.30 – 16.30
A degree of flexibility is required and the job holder may be required to participate in the Duty / On-Call roster in due course.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Nairobi are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Kenya.
- It is essential that the applicants already have the right to live and work in Kenya without the need to apply for a work permit
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.