View Vacancy - Business Development Associate
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the UK Government’s international business development agency. DIT USA, working closely with DIT and other agencies in the United Kingdom, is charged with transatlantic trade development between the UK and the US; and with assisting US companies looking to invest in the UK. See www.gov.uk/DIT for further information.
DIT USA working closely with DIT Headquarters in London, the DIT Investment Services Team, and other departmental agencies in the UK, together with representatives of the three Devolved Administrations of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, aim to drive transatlantic trade and foreign investment into the UK.
The British Consulate in Los Angeles is seeking qualified Business Development Associates (BDAs) to work in Retail/Food & Drink, Technology, and Advanced Engineering & Manufacturing. Each BDA will report to the relevant Trade & Investment Officer/Trade Officer (TIO/TO) for each sector.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proactively identify companies within the sector that would be interested in setting up or expanding their operations in the UK; make initial contact, organize visit programs and schedule company meetings for the Trade & Investment Officer. Attend meetings where appropriate and assist in the management of client relationships.
- Conduct research and compile reports on industry developments, best routes to market and potential US business partners for UK companies operating in the sector that are looking to enter the US market.
- Develop, maintain, and disseminate knowledge of developments, trends and opportunities in the sector for both the US and the UK.
- Build and manage a database of key contacts in the industry.
- Ability to use a variety of online and social media tools.
- Assist with initiatives such as incoming and outgoing trade missions, seminars, webinars, panel discussions, receptions and other events to promote the UK’s strengths in the sectors and subsectors. Contribute when necessary to administrative and logistical support for event participation.
- Provide operational and administrative support to the Trade & Investment Officer and to the wider DIT team as and when required.
- Liaise with both internal teams and external contacts at an executive level.
- Undertake occasional travel in the U.S. and the UK (up to 5% of the time).
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- 1-3 years professional experience in international business, preferably with a proven track record of fostering business relationships.
- Ability and credibility to deal with companies/organizations at a senior level in person and over the phone, with a proven track record of fostering business relationships.
- Excellent research and report writing skills – with an ability to provide clear, concise summaries and to respond to ad hoc requests at short notice using databases and other information sources.
- Proactive, self-starting approach to work; ability to deliver effectively under limited day-to-day supervision in a deadline-sensitive, fast-paced environment.
- Attention to detail and good follow up discipline.
- Strong and enthusiastic networking skills.
- Committed team player.
- Comfortable with initiating and handling introductory calls to relevant companies.
- Knowledge of the business environments in the UK and US
- Excellent organizational skills; proactive approach to work.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team and often under tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) is essential.
- Ability to undertake occasional travel within the US and the UK; ability to attend morning and evening events.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A visa holders. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy and Consulates. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.ukinusa.fco.gov.uk. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
 *A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Technology, Advanced Engineering & Manufacturing (AEM) and/or Retail/Food and Drink Sectors.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
The salary for this position is $45,864 annualized. Salary will be confirmed upon offer of employment.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by 3 October 2016. Internal candidates must address their resumes through their Head of Group before applying.
Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. The cover letter should be concise and reference the top 3 key qualities that you can bring to this role, showing reference to the job advertisement, DIT websites and your work experience.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Consulate-General is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.