View Vacancy - SRR - Residence Manager B3(L)
The British Embassy Riyadh has a vacancy for a full time Residence Manager on a one-year fixed term contract, with a possibility of renewal.
This is an important role, managing the smooth running of the Embassy Residence and the hosting of official events and senior and Ministerial visits to the Residence on behalf of Her Majesty’s Ambassador (HMA). A high performing Residence is at the heart of the Embassy’s diplomatic outreach in Saudi Arabia and the Residence Manager will work closely with the British Ambassador, Deputy Head of Mission (DHM), and Corporate Services Team to achieve this. The jobholder will also manage a Residence Team of five (5) people and associated budgets to ensure an excellent standard of business hospitality that also represents value for money.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience in business hospitality or events management, and thrive in working both front of house and behind the scenes to ensure that guests experience a top quality Residence service. The role suits a candidate who demonstrates the flexibility to meet the demands of a varied work schedule.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Residence Manager will have four main responsibilities:
1. To plan and host high quality Residence events and visits;
2. To ensure that the Residence is clean and well maintained, well presented and fit for purpose;
3. To lead and manage the Residence team, ensuring that they are happy, high performing, and delivering at pace; and
4. To run strong financial management systems, tracking expenditure, raising revenue, and conducting procurement in line with Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) requirements;
Specific duties and responsibilities are as follows:
1. Residence events and visits
- Track and plan for events through maintenance of an accurate Residence events calendar.
- Provide professional support to both internal and external contacts to plan their events, agree and meet expectations and ensure their objectives are achieved.
- Support the organisation and delivery of official functions and events to a high standard.
- Accommodate and assist with Ministerial/ VIP visits, ensuring an excellent standard of service and swiftly resolving any challenges that may arise such that the VIPs experience a smooth visit.
- Support the Embassy in planning and delivery of income generating (IG) events in line with Embassy priorities to meet the Post income target.
- Review and update the event guidance/ policy as necessary to ensure that a top quality service is provided, and that all staff are clear on their roles and responsibilities, with efficient event procedures in place.
2. Residence maintenance
- Review Residence presentation and maintenance and make cost-effective recommendations for improvements in the appearance and management of the Residence.
- Review and strengthen systems for the maintenance of the Residence, including cleaning protocols, décor, and gardens.
- Ensure basic Residence facilities are functioning as required (A/C and water misting systems, IT, telephones, plumbing, etc.).
- Ensure strong COVID-19 protocols at the Residence in line with latest public health requirements, ensuring regular cleaning of touch points, providing hand sanitiser and face masks for guests, and managing events in ways that minimise the risk of congestion.
- Manage the maintenance of the Residence and residence inventory, completing quality control checks to ensure the Residence is maintained to a high standard.
- Supervise and support Housekeepers/ Stewards to ensure a high standard of cleaning and laundry.
- Liaise with Head of Corporate Services (HCS) and Technical Works Supervisor (TWS) to plan and deliver maintenance, renovation, and refurbishing work as necessary.
3. Team leadership
- Lead and line manage the Residence Team (four to five staff members), ensuring each team member has clear job objectives and performance standards and can access the necessary training and support to perform their roles effectively.
- Monitor and supervise other teams who provide support to the Residence, ensuring that clear deliverables and timelines are agreed upfront, that the teams deliver in accordance with these, and that they have the support they need from the Residence to get their work done.
- Lead on recruitment into the Residence Team as required and perform all line management functions to a high standard (including appraisals, performance management, investment in learning and development).
4. Financial management
- On arrival (and in consultation with Corporate Services), review and strengthen financial management systems to ensure that the Residence is accurately tracking business hospitality and representational expenditure, and that it has the necessary financial information required for internal audit purposes.
- Put in place and maintain effective monthly budget forecasts and events record management. Use this information to provide accurate monthly recharging and invoicing of event costs to the relevant sections of the Embassy (Defence, Trade, Political, etc.) and/ or external organisations
- Ensure that any Residence investments are properly planned for, budgeted, and approved, and manage any associated procurement following FCDO guidelines.
- Verify and approve requisitions/ transactions made using the Government Procurement Card (GPC) or Corporate Credit Card (CCC) using the FCDO’s Oracle-based finance and procurement management software.
The above list is not exhaustive and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and take on other corporate duties and ad hoc tasks as required, including participating in the Embassy’s emergency planning and any response to a crisis.
Key competencies required:
- Seeing the Big Picture - Having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs. Focusing your contribution on the activities, which will meet the organisation’s goals and deliver the greatest value. Scanning the wider context and taking account of wider impacts to develop long term implementation strategies that maximise opportunities to add value and support economic, sustainable growth.
- Changing and Improving - Being responsive and innovative, and seeking out opportunities to create effective change. Learning from what has worked well and what has not, being open to change, suggesting ideas for improvements to the way things are done, and working in ’smarter’, more focused ways. Continuously seeking out ways to improve policy implementation and build a leaner, more flexible and responsive team.
- Achieving Commercial Outcomes - Maintaining an economic, long-term focus in all activities. Having a commercial, financial, and sustainable mind-set to ensure all activities and services are delivering added value and working to stimulate economic growth. Ensuring tight commercial controls of finances, resources, and contracts to meet strategic priorities.
- Delivering Value for Money - It involves the efficient, effective and economic use of taxpayers’ money in the delivery of public services. Seeking out and implementing solutions which achieve the best mix of quality and effectiveness for the least outlay. Making decisions based on evidenced information and following agreed processes and policies, challenging these appropriately where they appear to prevent good value for money.
- At least two (2) years of experience in events management, business hospitality, hosting senior events, and/ or office management.
- Previous line management experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to engage and influence at all levels internally and with external contacts, including with VIPs.
- Demonstrates team working skills and able to collaborate effectively across Embassy teams.
- Strong customer focus. Demonstrates courtesy and consideration in dealing with all stakeholders. Able to show discretion in handling any sensitive matters, with the trust of all involved
- Excellent organisational ability, with proven ability to manage, plan, and prioritise tasks and workload.
- Resourcefulness in solving problems and demonstrates good judgement and a calm manner.
- Ability to multi-task and have good organisational skills. Ability to respond quickly and flexibly to meet the demands of a varied work schedule and multiple and changing priorities.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English. Able to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely.
- Strong IT computer skills and in using MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams).
- Experience in using Oracle-based finance and procurement management system.
- Budget control experience.
- Arabic language skills.
The position is available to Saudi nationals and to current holders of valid Saudi residence permits or transferable iqama. The successful candidate will be required to transfer their sponsorship to the British Embassy.
Working hours and remuneration:
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role.
- Base Salary including Eid bonus - SAR 8,557.81
- Housing Allowance - SAR 2,139.45 (subject to eligibility)*
- Travel Allowance - SAR 400 (subject to eligibility)*
*Allowances are not payable to staff who receive official provision for such expenditure in some other form.
No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Normal working hours for the Embassy are from 08:00 to 15:00 from Sunday to Thursday, with the required core hours being from 10:00 to 15:00. This position is full-time, based on 35 hours per week.
The jobholder should also be flexible in their approach to hours worked as these will also be dictated by operational needs and will involve working out of hours (evening and weekend) to support events and official visits. Time off in lieu or overtime can be arranged for additional hours.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90-day probationary period.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must attach 1) an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) and 2) a covering letter stating how you meet the requirements of the role.
Your application must also include examples of when you have demonstrated the required competencies in the Competence-Based Questions section of the online application form.
Applications that do not include these information will not be considered.
The closing date for applications is at 23:55 KSA local time on 09 November 2021.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only those shortlisted for the next step in the recruitment process will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances, medical clearance and reference checks.
The British Embassy Riyadh is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Saudi Arabia employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.