View Vacancy - Multilateral Support Officer (NLD22.368)
The British Embassy in The Hague is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is looking for a Multilateral Support Officer, to provide administrative support to the multilateral teams in the British Embassy. These teams manage the UK’s relationships with the International Organisations based in The Hague, including among others the International Criminal Court, the International Court of Justice and the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW). Our work helps to deliver the United Kingdom’s objective to strengthen the rules-based international system and safeguard its national security, in particular by promoting international justice and countering weapons proliferation.
What will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
The successful candidate will be proactive, flexible and possess excellent time management and inter personal skills. They will provide administrative support to up to two Embassy teams (International Law Team and OPCW Team), with the exact balance of responsibilities to be confirmed with the successful candidate.
The jobholder will have regular interaction with international staff at the international courts and tribunals based in The Hague, and will be an integral member of the wider Embassy team.
Position duties and responsibilities include:
- Draft and prepare credentials, notes verbale, correspondence, minutes and other documents;
- Manage Outlook diaries, schedule appointments, book official travel;
- Work with external and UK based stakeholders to facilitate their work, including by transmitting documents, organising and providing logistical support for a range of events such as incoming visits by UK officials, receptions, meetings, consultations, seminars, and conferences;
- Occasionally represent the UK at external meetings and provide written reporting;
- Provide ad hoc relief cover to the Executive Assistant to the Ambassador; and
- Take part in the corporate life of the Embassy, by playing a role in a Committee or initiative of the jobholder’s choice.
- Full professional proficiency in English, including excellent writing skills (written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*);
- Flexibility and strong time-management skills;
- Use of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Experience in similar administrative roles;
- Knowledge of UK Government and/or international organisations.
This is a full-time and fixed-term contract of 12 months at grade Administrative Officer (AO). The base salary for this position is € 3,189.12 gross per month, based on a working week of 36 hours. In addition, an 8% holiday bonus and a monthly working from home allowance are payable. Actual commuter travel expenses up to a limit or a monthly set travel allowance for commuter costs are payable depending on the role and how often office work is needed. The Embassy currently applies a performance based bonus pay model for local staff.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in The Netherlands.
The successful candidate will undergo a professional background check; Any job offer is also provisional to a successful security clearance check.
The Embassy encourages a culture of continuous learning. All employees have access to the Civil Service Learning platform which gives access to training to improve job specific skills. Employees are entitled to a minimum number of annual training days.
The British Embassy promotes and demonstrates the key values of Professionalism, Respect and Honesty.
Visa/work permit requirements: candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in The Netherlands and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in The Netherlands.
Under the terms of the UK/NL Double Taxation Convention (Article 18 1(b)(ii), UK nationals who move to The Netherlands to take up their new role at the Embassy/Consulate and UKB spouse who start working at the Embassy with no previous record of working in the Netherlands since the arrival of the UKB partner they accompany, will be placed on a tax abated salary if deemed to be eligible for Dutch income tax exemption on their salary. Qualifying staff will have no Dutch income tax levied on their salary and will therefore be paid an abated salary reduced by the applicable tax they would have had to pay if that local liability had existed. A tax abated salary ensures a fair and comparable take home pay. Staff on tax abated salaries cannot claim tax benefits in The Netherlands but they are fully and comprehensively covered for social security and deemed to be resident local staff for all intents and purposes.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
* Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.