View Vacancy - Deputy Head of Corporate Services (DEU21.455)
The British Embassy in Berlin is a large overseas mission in the FCDO (Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office) network, with a considerable number of official visitors including Royals and senior ministers. We are looking for a Deputy Head of Corporate Services (Deputy HCS).
An exciting opportunity to contribute to the work of the British Embassy in Berlin, which together with the Consulates in Dusseldorf and Munich make up the Germany Network. As part of the FCDO (Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office) world-wide network, the 3 missions serve as a platform for 192 staff, both diplomatic and country based, from the FCDO and other UK Government partners. The Germany Network maintains and develops relations between the UK and Germany, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas.
Based in the British Embassy Berlin, the Deputy Head of Corporate Services (CS) provides a key role within the CS team and the network. Reporting directly to the HCS, to support in providing strategic direction to corporate services and to ensure the overall efficient and effective operation of all aspects of administrative (Corporate Service – CS) work across the three missions. We are looking for an experienced manager, who can demonstrate high levels of personal autonomy and resilience, with proven leadership and staff management skills. The successful candidate will be someone who sees the bigger picture as well as being very strong on organisation, delivery and stakeholder management.
As Deputy Head of Corporate Services (Deputy HCS), the successful candidate would lead an efficient and professional team of 15 staff. The jobholder directly manages the HR, Estates, Transport and Logistic teams as well as leading and representing the wider CS team in the HCS’s absence. The Deputy HCS also provides advice and leads on all aspects of contract and procurement management for Berlin and the Consulates.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic planning and leadership:
- Ensure an overall efficient and effective Corporate Services (CS) operation. Lead and monitor the delivery of services against the local corporate services charter and respond to improvement needs identified in the Customer Satisfaction Survey;
- Review local policies, align to global and local requirement and ensure adoption by all partners on the platform;
- To plan long term resource and development needs for the team;
- Instil a continuous improvement mentality within the team, leading on relevant corporate projects and the change management required to deliver them;
- Respond to operational crisis as logistics lead, flexing team prioritisation as required.
Cross-functional team management:
- HR Team: Providing strategic direction to the HR Manager and team of 3 to ensure a professional service delivery to both CBS and UK based staff. Overseeing the team’s work to ensure compliance with local labour law and local terms and conditions. Supporting the HR Manager with any sensitive HR issues, engaging with specialist HR functions where necessary.
- Estates Team: Working closely with the Estates Manager and team of 6, direct the management of the estate, ensuring that UK and local standards are met through planned and reactive maintenance and in compliance with corporate procedures. Ensure the team find and maintain suitable properties based on the guidelines set out by London and as per the Housing Committee’s decisions. Understanding the importance of a smooth process for new arrivals and how the effective delivery of this has an impact on the morale of diplomatic officers and families posted to Germany.
- Transport and Logistics Team: Support the Transport and Logistics Manager, deputy and 2 drivers to provide an effective transport and logistics service in line with the guidance as well as managing the postal service in the Embassy. The Transport Manager will also line manage the two IT officers who are responsible for the smooth running of many aspects of IT to the Embassy.
- Contract Management: Manage lease contracts of the properties with the German authorities. Revision of existing leases, contracts, management of rent payments and termination of contracts. Daily management and responsibility for all other Embassy Contracts: including Telecommunication, Insurance, Security, Residential Property Leases, Office Machinery and Vehicle Leases. Check and initiate tenders where necessary, working closely with the Hub, relevant team members and managing the relationship with the stakeholders, following best practice and maintaining auditable guidelines;
- PFI (Private Finance Initiative): To liaise, manage and control the financial aspects of the PFI contract, attending quarterly liaison meetings and work closely with colleagues in Brussels and the UK;
- Budget management: Working closely with Budget and Finance Manager, accurate budget management, following best practice and adhering to audit requirements. Preparing or feeding into various financial and procurement returns and meeting all necessary deadlines;
- Procurement: Management of the oracle based procurement system at post, liaising with the procurement hub and the Global Transaction Processing Centre (GTPC) in the UK, property lawyers and contractual parties to ensure gaining maximum vfm compliance and implementation of the correct procedures. Manage and approve Government Procurement Card (GPC) transactions;
- Participate in corporate projects focussed on supporting and developing the collective spirit of the Embassy and the Consulates in Germany.
Facilities Management (FM):
- Liaise with on-site FM providers to make sure high customer service levels are met and contract terms are filled. Ensure full compliance with corporate procedures, including local and UK health and safety regulations and policies.
- Perform other duties that may reasonably required.
- At least 5 years professional experience in a management position working for an international organisation, including HR, contract and change management experience;
- Experience of managing and motivating cross functional teams;
- Budget management experience;
- The ability to speak and write English (to at least level C2 CEFR);
- The ability to speak and write German (to least level C2 CEFR);
- Excellent IT skills, including MS Outlook, Word and Excel. Knowledge of Oracle based systems and telecommunication systems an advantage;
- Strong interpersonal skills. Proven ability to form professional relationships, to build trust with a wide range of contacts and the ability to challenge and influence senior stakeholders. High levels of discretion, resilient and flexible attitude.
- Degree/Masters or equivalent qualification in business or relevant subject;
- Knowledge of contract law an advantage;
- Knowledge of the German housing market;
- Experience of a PFI (Private Finance Initiative) contract.
This is a full-time fixed-term position for a period of two years from starting date with the possibility of making permanent depending on performance and available funding.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation in Germany in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Our Learning & Development environment:
The British Embassy has a strong ethos of Learning & Development, including our Learning & Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the British Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the British Embassy’s positive working environment.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
*Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning; can express fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions; can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes; can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.