View Vacancy - Vice President Business Development, Technology - Toronto
Main purpose of job:
The main purpose of this job is to help boost Scottish Technology exports into Canada, by building and maintaining relationships with key corporate/public sector customers, go-to-market partners and other influencers in the Canadian technology industry and bringing forth opportunities for Scottish technology companies.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Develop a deep understanding of market trends and opportunities in the Canadian Technology market and how this aligns with capabilities of Scottish companies
- Creation and maintenance/refreshing of a market opportunity plan for specific subsector remits such as Space/Aerospace, Climatetech, Construction/Proptech, Fintech or Healthtech
- Identify and build relationships with potential trade partners based in Canada (B2B customers and go-to-market partners of technology solutions)
- Deliver webinars and use social media, including LinkedIn, to highlight key market opportunities to raise awareness of key market opportunities for Scottish companies partnering with colleagues in Scotland
- Provide trade advice and guidance to Scottish companies looking to access opportunities in- market
- Support Scottish companies with market entry and growth strategies and develop a deep understanding of routes to market, business environment and regulatory framework.
- Active participation as a team player in a global sector team
- Work as part of project team, with colleagues in Scotland to deliver visit programs, trade missions, and learning journeys for Scottish Technology companies and facilitate introductions with key stakeholders in North America.
- Develop close working relationships with partner organizations including UK’s Department for International Trade, GlobalScot Network, and other in-market industry trade bodies who can add value to SDI’s work
- Support Scottish Government Ministerial visits and VIP programs
Essential on arrival:
- Proven customer relationship management skills including ability to establish credibility with senior leaders in Industry
- Diagnostic, strategic challenger, influencer and facilitation skills
- Ability to apply analytical skills in complex situations
- Knowledge and understanding of the technology sector and market to provide market entry/expansion advice to companies, colleagues and partners either directly and/or through appropriate experts in the field
- Being a team player with the ability to work successfully within a geographically dispersed ‘virtual team’ to achieve common objectives
- Ability to work on own initiative and deal with ambiguity and change
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, when business requires
- Excellent written skills, IT literate and comfortable using Microsoft packages such as PowerPoint, Excel and Word plus SE/SDI internal management systems (Microsof Dynamics)
- A relevant degree level qualification (or equivalent level of experience)
- Must have the legal status to live and work in Canada.
Language: English (French an asset)
Level of language required: English
- Strong network of contacts in the technology industry, preferably in Space/Aerospace, B2B software solutions, Construction Services, etc
- Experience working internationally by supporting foreign companies to do business in Canada
- French language
Flexible working - This position will follow the same SDI-wide policy of “1-2 days in the office or as business requires”
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and enriching learning and development opportunities.
Scottish Development International (SDI) is the Scottish Government-sponsored organisation which supports Scottish companies to trade in global markets and helps international companies invest and thrive in Scotland
The candidate should have relevant experience of working in the technology sector. However, the ability to build relationships and unlock business development opportunities is significantly more important to be successful in this role. At SDI, we invest in the development of our staff and welcome applications from candidates at all stages of their career journey.
Reporting into the SVP of Science & Technology for the Americas based in Silicon Valley, CA, the successful candidate will focus on generating business from Canada for Scottish Technology companies.
This opportunity is closed to applications.