View Vacancy - Senior Press and Communications Officer (HUN18.163)
The British Embassy in Hungary is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Senior Press and Communications Officer.
Working in the Communications & Events team of the British Embassy the Senior Press and Communication Officer would be responsible for carrying out the UK government’s media and communications work in Hungary, also act as the Deputy head of the Communications & Events Team. Contribute to shaping the UK’s public perception in Hungary through running media campaigns, placing content and developing relationships with key stakeholders as well as the local media. Create innovative strategies in support of key Embassy objectives with leading on a number of communications campaigns and events. Manage the day to day activity and support the learning and development of the Communications and Events Team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with colleagues across the Embassy and contribute to the design and implementation of strategic communications campaigns, consular campaigns, with an overview of visits and events to support delivery of Embassy priorities;
- Provide support for media engagement by Ambassador and other senior colleagues;
- Maintain and further develop good contacts with the Hungarian media and use them to promote UK policies and initiatives;
- Media work: media monitoring and reporting, drafting press releases and social media content, placing content in the local media, arranging interviews and press events;
- Deputise Head of Communications and events when absent;
- Line manage, supervise and support the learning and development of 3 staff (Events and Visits Officer, Digital Media Officer and Communications Officer).
- At least 3 years experience of working with the media or in Public Relations or related field;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Knowledge of the Hungarian media landscape;
- Knowledge on how Social Media works (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube);
- Excellent command of English and Hungarian (both oral and written);
- Strong in delivering results often to tight deadlines and with excellent self-organisation and attention to detail;
- Creative thinking and good problem solving skills;
- Reliable, able to work in a team with changing priorities with a flexible approach and have the personal qualities to work alone and well under pressure;
- University or College degree (preferably in Communications and/or Marketing);
- At least 3 years of experience in line management;
- Existing network of local media contacts.
Knowledge of and interest in the Hungarian, UK and international news, media and political scene.
This is a full-time position of 5 days (35 hours net per week) for a two years fixed-term contract which may be extended by a mutual agreement.
Working hours are flexible and staff are entitled to time-off-in-lieu for extra hours worked.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance. You must have pre-existing work authorisation for Hungary in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions service according to Hungarian employment law.
Interviews will be conducted in English.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field "Application deadline".
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.