View Vacancy - Communications Intern (CHEG21.227)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption.
The United Kingdom Mission to the United Nations in Geneva represents the interests and policies of the UK at the UN and is recruiting a highly motivated and skilled Communications intern to join the Communications Team and to develop communications skills in an international context. The focus will be on social media but you will also gain experience across the full range of communication disciplines – press, stakeholder engagement, internal communications and more.
You will help us to deliver key messages to a range of audiences on several high profile areas - including human rights, humanitarian assistance, trade and health issues.
The work is both challenging and rewarding. We often work under time pressure in a fast-paced environment. The team is small which means that we give our intern a lot of responsibility and stretching work. There will be some administrative work but this is minimal.
We expect the intern to be based in Geneva most of the time due to the nature of work. Unfortunately, we are unable to help with costs associated with temporary relocation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Social media: content creation, planning and management;
- Media monitoring and reporting;
- Other core duties include (but not limited to) writing for different channels, management of gov.uk content and contributing to campaign strategies;
- Event support;
- Opportunity to get involved in other areas of the Mission’s work (depending on your interests).
- Fluent written and spoken English (C1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages);
- Education: candidates will ideally have a higher education qualification in media, communications, journalism, public relations, international relations and political science. Candidates without a qualification but with equivalent professional experience will also be considered;
- Motivation: a strong interest in communications, media, multilateral institutions (UN, WTO etc.) and/or relevant policy areas (human rights, global health, international trade etc.);
- Written communication skills: we need someone who is competent and confident in writing for different audiences, with a high degree of accuracy;
- Social media: a strong interest in, and prior experience of managing, social media channels such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook (personal use counts);
- Flexibility: our work is fast moving and priorities can shift suddenly. We are looking for someone who can be agile. If you enjoy variety, then this role will suit you perfectly;
- Willingness to undergo a mandatory security check.
- Digital content creation: experience of creating graphics and/or animations for social media will be looked upon favourably.
All applicants should have permission to live and work in Switzerland. Applicants must hold a full passport valid for at least 18 months for any EU / Schengen country.
EU and EFTA nationals do not require visa sponsorship along with Nationals of: Brunei Darussalam, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Principality of Andorra, Principality of Monaco, San Marino, Singapore, United Kingdom, Vatican.
The UK Mission will offer the intern a monthly training allowance of 1,450 CHF. Please note that interns will need to arrange and pay for their own travel and accommodation, as well as any other living costs and are subject to Swiss taxes. This internship will be for a period of 6 months.
The cost of a monthly travel card within Geneva will be reimbursed as will the cost of travel insurance up to the value of £250 for the duration of internship.
The final appointment and commencement of internship will be dependent upon successful security clearance.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
The successful candidates will be invited to attend a Skype interview.
Please be advised that the UK Mission will not be able to meet any cost during the Recruitment and Selection process, Security Check nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
You may experiment some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.