View Vacancy - Ambassador’s Office Assistant (DEU18.031)
The British Embassy in Berlin is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. An opportunity has arisen for an Ambassador’s Office Assistant at the heart of the Embassy.
The Office Assistant will provide administrative and organisational support to the Ambassador’s office and to the Embassy officer responsible for arranging senior visits to Germany. He/she will be involved in arranging events and meetings and maintaining a contacts database and will need to be flexible in responding to varying levels of demand in the different aspects of the role. Fluency in German and English is essential. To support the Embassy’s positive working environment, the successful candidate will be encouraged to play an active role in the Embassy’s corporate life and contribute to the wider objectives of the Germany network. A range of learning and development opportunities will also be offered and encouraged.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- General admin duties including dealing with post, handling correspondence and telephone enquiries in English and German, stationery orders, distribution and filing of documents, typing and audio typing;
- Arranging meetings and appointments, making bookings and organising logistics and travel arrangements for incoming visitors;
- Managing and maintaining a contacts database. Issuing and following up on invitations as required;
- Providing support and cover for the Ambassador’s private secretaries and the visits officer;
- Other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job. This may include making a corporate contribution to the wider Germany network.
- Previous experience in an administrative/secretarial role or in a similar role;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel and contact databases;
- Fluent English and German (both written and spoken, minimum of C2 level for CEFR framework*) and good communication skills.
- Audio typing preferable;
- A broad overview of German political and governmental institutions and structures.
This is a full-time position of five working days 37.5 hours per week, for a contract period of two years.
The British Embassy in Berlin has a strong ethos of Learning and Development, including our Learning and Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all Embassy staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the Embassy’s positive working environment.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Germany. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorization for Germany in order to apply. The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Germany are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.