View Vacancy - Vice President, Food & Drink (Toronto/SDI)
Main purpose of job:
The main purpose of this job is to help boost Scottish Food exports into Canada, by building and maintaining relationships with key retail and foodservice buyers, distributors, importers and other influencers in the Canadian food industry and bringing forth opportunities for Scottish exporters.
Roles and responsibilities:
Trade Development (at least 50% of role)
- Identify key customers operating in the retail and food service sectors in Canada and take a strategic account management role, understanding any specific procurement and supply chain requirements whilst looking to identify potential opportunities for Scottish companies.
- Develop partnerships with stakeholders and trade associations – both in Scotland and in-market to identify platforms for collaborative or strategic engagement in the food sector (Chefs’ Associations; restaurant/hotel industry groups etc).
- Identify and attend sector-specific trade shows, exhibitions and conferences in the market/region to promote Scotland as a Land of Food & Drink; expand your network of contacts; and identify opportunities for Scottish companies.
- Produce data-driven insight from market intelligence to scope/explore new opportunities for Scottish companies. Report trends to the Global Food and Drink team in Scotland and to trade organisations as appropriate (eg Seafood Scotland, Quality Meat Scotland).
- Identify and articulate specific business opportunities to colleagues in Scotland, including trade advisers and trade organisations, and work with Scottish companies to help them respond to these opportunities.
- Deliver webinars and use social media, including LinkedIn, to highlight key market opportunities to raise awareness of key market opportunities for Scottish companies,
- Take a creative approach to trade development work, supporting colleagues by looking for innovative ways to create demand for Scottish goods and services in your market/region.
- Act as overseas lead within a wider account team, providing trade advice and guidance to Scottish companies looking to access opportunities in- market within the sector.
- Support Scottish companies with market entry and growth strategies and develop a deep understanding of routes to market, business environment and regulatory framework.
- Work with colleagues in Scotland to deliver visit programmes, trade missions and learning journeys for Scottish companies, providing added value for participating companies by introducing them to your network of contacts and setting up 1-2-1 meetings for them while in market.
- Update SDI’s internal reporting system with details of all company support provided and how it has helped to deliver against SDI’s objectives. Update account team members on the impact of any support provided.
- Develop close working relationships with other partners including DIT, GlobalScots, and other in-market industry trade bodies who can add value.
Essential on arrival:
- Proven customer relationship management skills
- Diagnostic, strategic challenger, influencer and facilitation skills
- Ability to apply analytical skills in complex situations
- Knowledge and understanding of the food & drink sector and ability to engage credibly with senior industry representatives in the sector
- Market and sector knowledge in relation to international trade to enable the provision of advice to companies, colleagues and partners
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, when business requires
- Excellent written skills, IT literate and comfortable using Microsoft packages such as PowerPoint, Excel and Word plus SE/SDI internal management systems (Dynamics)
- A relevant degree level qualification (or equivalent level of experience)
Language: English (French an asset)
Must have the legal status to live and work in Canada.
- Strong network of contacts in the retail and foodservice channels, including buyers for seafood, red meat, premium grocery and dairy
- Experience working internationally by supporting foreign companies to do business in Canada
- Familiarity with the Canadian food regulatory environment
Flexible Working patterns:
This position will follow the same SDI-wide policy of “1-2 days in the office or as business requires”
Any other information:
Scottish Development International (SDI) is the Scottish Government-sponsored organisation which helps international companies invest and thrive in Scotland and supports Scottish companies to trade in global markets.
This is a unique opportunity to join a high performing team to grow Scottish food exports to Canada by proactively identifying trade opportunities for Scottish companies with key buyers and importers/distributors in the retail and food service sectors. The successful candidate will lead the delivery of specialist support to Scottish food & drink companies looking to significantly grow their international exports in this region.
Reporting into the SVP of Consumer Industries for the Americas, the successful candidate will focus on increasing exports from existing food & drink exporters while identifying and supporting opportunities for new exporters.
This opportunity is closed to applications.