View Vacancy - Estates Maintenance Officer (DEU21.500)
The British Embassy in Berlin is a large overseas mission in the FCDO (Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office) network, with a considerable number of official visitors including Royals and senior ministers.
As part of Corporate Services, the Estates Team contributes to estates operations of the mission.
The Estates Team is looking to recruit an Estates Maintenance Officer. This is an exciting opportunity to support the British Embassy, providing maintenance to over 50 properties in the Berlin area. The jobholder must be a qualified, certified electrician with experience of supervising staff. Further experience to carry out other maintenance and repairs such as minor plumbing, carpentry and metalwork is also required. The Estates Maintenance Officer will line manage three removal and maintenance staff and reports to the Estates Manager.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Estates Manager with delivering an efficient and smooth running of the estates operation, with particular focus on the day-to-day management of all maintenance issues;
- Carry out installations, maintenance and repairs of electrical systems and items across the Embassy’s residential Estate in the Berlin area as required;
- Carry out other maintenance and repair jobs, including minor plumbing, exchanging locks, connecting white goods and changing security light bulbs;
- Line manage a team of currently three removal & maintenance staff;
- Work closely with other colleagues in the Estates team to ensure customer expectations are met to a high standard;
- Participate in corporate projects focussed on supporting and developing the collective spirit of the Embassy and the Consulates in Germany;
- Provide assistance in times of crisis;
- Occasionally out of hours working including weekends may be required;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Fully qualified electrician, certified to work on voltages of up to 1000V;
- Experience of supervising staff;
- The ability to motivate others;
- Ability to carry out other maintenance and repair jobs such as minor plumbing, wood- and metalwork repairs, changing of locks;
- The ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision;
- The ability to work a part of a team;
- Excellent customer services skills;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Clean driver’s licence;
- The ability to speak and write English (to at least level B2 CEFR);
- The ability to speak German (to least level B2 CEFR);
- An understanding and commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment;
- Good IT skills.
This is a full-time fixed-term position for a contract period of two years.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation in Germany in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Germany and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Our Learning & Development environment:
The British Embassy has a strong ethos of Learning & Development, including our Learning & Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the British Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the British Embassy’s positive working environment.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
*Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning; can express fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions; can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes; can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.