View Vacancy - Clerical Assistant 03/16 ABJ
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Other British Government Departments (Partners across Government, including UK Visas)
MOD (Ministry of Defence)
- Act as Defence Section Clerical Assistant, responsible for the routine registry duties and direct administration support.
- Day to day running of section accounts which include raising payment vouchers, paying invoices, organising entertainment expense authorisation, cash collection and refunds.
- Ensuring all payments are authorised correctly and allocated to relevant sub accounts.
- Complete monthly and quarterly budget returns. Clear audit trail for audit purposes.
- Maintain a monthly account spreadsheet and ensure copies are sent to HOCS FIN & IPP.
- Ensuring the Section is kept abreast of budgetary constraints against expenditure.
- Carry out comparative cross- referencing of monthly report issued by Accounts Section against the Defence expenditure, investigating where discrepancies occur.
- Arranging travel for Defence Section, including preparation and monitoring of allowances.
- Maintenance of Section registry (including filing, reproduction and despatch of documents), library and stationery supplies.
- Recording driver’s overtime and calculating overtime payment.
- Maintenance of vehicle log book and production of fuel and mileage statistics.
- Maintenance of leave register. Advise Locally Engaged staff leave to FCO Personnel Department.
- Responsible for updating the INSA folder on shared drive.
- Managing Defence Section Drivers
- Assist with the facilitation of visa applications as directed by ADA.
- Provide assistance to the ADA in the processing of visiting RAF and VIP flights, arranging diplomatic clearances and related administrative tasks as required.
- Assistance to the Section arranging diplomatic clearance and administration of incoming HM ships.
- Previous Human Resources experience is desirable
- Mature, self-motivated, able to work independently
- Good communication and inter-personal skills
- Able to multi-task and work under pressure
- Detail orientated
- IT Literate is a must
- Accounts experience desirable
- Team player
- The incumbent should be prepared to help wherever required on a variety of different topics even if this falls outside the strict job specification. Reliability, initiative and a high degree of responsibility and security are essential.
- As a representative of a small OGD in the Chancery, an ability to get on with others is necessary
Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service
10 March 2016
British High Commission
1 April 2016
- The candidate must be a British passport holder who already has or is able to obtain UK Security Clearance, or another national who has recently lived at least five consecutive years in the UK and may be eligible to obtain UK Security Clearance.
- The candidate must also provide evidence that they have permission to work for the British Deputy High Commission in Nigeria (i.e. that they are a Nigerian passport holder; or hold a Nigerian work permit that allows them to work for a diplomatic mission). Any applicant who does not provide evidence of this will be sifted out at the first stage.
- Staff members recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Nigerian employment law.
- Spouses/registered partners of UK Based Staff, are able to work within the BHC/BCG but their salary will be abated at the appropriate tax rates.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
This opportunity is closed to applications.