View Vacancy - Trade Adviser (BEL21.159)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
Our daily work relies on the input of dedicated individuals who engage on many different topics and activities. We seek to employ a diverse range of candidates who bring their own talents and perspectives to the role. We have a strong corporate agenda that ensures we create a positive and inclusive working environment where everyone is valued for their contribution.
The British Embassy in Brussels is part of a world-wide network of 230 Diplomatic Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are looking for a Trade Adviser based in Brussels to join the Belgium-Luxembourg DIT (Department for International Trade) team.
Working for the Department for International Trade (DIT), the main purpose of the role is to support the UK’s prosperity and strengthen the UK-BE trade relationship by actively supporting UK exporters and connecting them to Belgian clients. This position will primarily focus on the promotion of innovative UK technology in the fields of e-health, smart city development, telecom and finance. Following market interest, additional business sectors can be added.
This is an exciting time and challenging opportunity to promote the UK to an important trading partner. Our team is looking for a motivated, commercially driven professional with excellent account management and organisational skills to join our team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working as part of the Belgium-Luxemburg (Belux) trade and investment team to deliver the DIT country plan and annual trade objectives;
- Focus on those technology sectors that add most value to the UK economy, especially but not exclusively focussing on e-health, smart city development, telecom and finance;
- Providing professional advice and support to UK companies wishing to develop business in Belgium;
- Identifying Belgian business opportunities and matching them with relevant UK solutions;
- Develop and deliver high-impact marketing and business development activities, highlighting the strengths of the UK’s sector propositions such as (virtual) network events, trade missions and social media activities;
- Establish strong relationships with commercial partners, business and trade associations and other external stakeholders, in Belgium as well as in the UK;
- Represent DIT and the Embassy at external functions, including occasional speaking engagements;
- Proactively contribute to cross-Belux team and the wider economic diplomacy agenda of the Embassy;
- In light of the changing environment around the UK Missions, this role is not limited to the tasks described above and responsibilities may evolve through time.
- Full professional proficiency in English, including excellent writing skills (written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*);
- Independent user in French, including excellent writing skills (written and spoken, minimum of B1/B2 level for CEFR framework*);
- Independent user in Dutch, including excellent writing skills (written and spoken, minimum of B1/B2 level for CEFR framework*);
- Experience in a marketing, international business development, consultancy or trade/investment promotion discipline;
- A self-starter, demonstrating a flexible, pro-active and entrepreneurial attitude;
- A strong team player with good people skills, strong ability to network and interact;
- Good customer relationship management skills;
- Ability to prioritise, effectively manage and execute multiple and competing tasks within the agreed deadlines;
- Full proficiency in MS Office applications and use of social media.
- Good understanding of the UK and Belgian business scenes;
- Sector-specific knowledge or previous work experience in the technology sector;
- Experience of dealing with business in an international context.
This is a permanent full-time contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week. The monthly gross salary for this position is € 4,243.29, B3 level. In addition, we offer an extensive salary package, which includes a 13th month, luncheon vouchers, pension scheme, optional hospitalisation insurance (subject to monthly employee contribution), reimbursement of public transport and a lot more. We offer more days of annual leave than the Belgian requirements.
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
Passport: officers are expected to be in possession of a passport due to the possibility that they may be asked to undertake business travel.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Belgium and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note, Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Please be advised that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.