View Vacancy - Science and Innovation Country Lead
The British Embassy Doha is part of a worldwide network that represents political, economic, security and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Science and Innovation Country Lead, job grade Higher Executive Officer (HEO).
Main Purpose of the Job:
The UK Science and Innovation Network (SIN) is the British Government’s organisation for international science diplomacy, using the UK’s excellence in science and innovation to develop partnerships and collaborations that support UK prosperity and help tackle global challenges. SIN is jointly funded by the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and the Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) with more than 100 staff based in over 40 countries and territories worldwide, including the SIN Gulf team, led from Doha. The Science and Innovation Country Lead for Qatar must work as part of the wider SIN Gulf team, ensuring they continue to promote the UK as the partner of choice for research, development and innovation.
The six countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC: Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, and Bahrain) are investing heavily in research capacity as they seek to diversify and build their knowledge based economies. In addition to post and wider FCDO objectives, the SIN Gulf team also manage programme funding to support the UK MENA Strategy, with the SIN Country Lead assuming responsibility for programme delivery in Qatar, along with supporting activities across the wider Gulf region. SIN Gulf has already identified significant opportunities for the UK research base to engage beneficially with Gulf research institutions in priority research sectors and is looking to extend its coverage both in the region, and with UK institutes and businesses.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement the UK Government’s science and innovation strategy for the Gulf with direct responsibility for Qatar.
- Responsible for planning and delivery of programme funded scientific focussed initiatives.
- Manage the UK relationship with Qatar research, innovation and funding bodies.
- Report on Qatar trends, policy and funding in the areas of research, science and innovation.
- Develop communications strategies and campaigns to promote the vibrant, creative and ambitious UK-Qatar science and innovation partnerships to a wide range of target audiences.
- Provide support to senior UK Government staff and the UK research base regarding Qatar’s science and innovation environment.
- Act as the first point of contact for UK Government lobbying on research, scientific and technology policy issues in Qatar.
- Collaborate with Qatari partners on the development of common science and innovation policies.
- Work with UK partners - UK Department for International Trade (DIT), Prosperity, British Council and others to deliver wider UK prosperity objectives.
- Develop and maintain a network of senior level contacts across the UK and Gulf research landscape.
- Support UK entities to leverage Gulf research funds to tackle pressing global challenges.
- Support VIP visits - Curate events with a range of high level, diverse thought leaders and influencers to promote our bilateral scientific partnership.
The above list is not exhaustive and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and take on other ad hoc tasks as required.
- Working Together - Form effective partnerships and relationships with people both internally and externally, from a range of diverse backgrounds, sharing information, resources, and support.
- Delivering at Pace - Take responsibility for delivering timely and quality results with focus and drive
- Managing a Quality Service - Deliver service objectives with professional excellence, expertise and efficiency, taking account of diverse customer needs.
- Seeing the Big Picture - Understand how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives. Recognise the wider Civil Service priorities and ensure work is in the national interest.
- Fluency in English both written and spoken. Able to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely, both orally and in written communication.
- BSc, BA or BEng in a relevant field.
- Experience in project management and/or events management.
- The ability to plan strategically and to see the bigger picture.
- The ability to deliver results under pressure.
- The ability to work quickly and reliably with attention to detail and with limited supervision.
- The ability to initiate and maintain a wide range of working relationships.
- The ability to work as part of a larger team.
- Strong presentation, communication, interpersonal and representational skills.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Strong IT computer skills – Understanding of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Good spoken/written Arabic
- A scientific background, experience working with the research, academic or commercial scientific community of the Gulf region, and an understanding of the UK science and innovation landscape is highly desirable.
Applicants must already reside in Qatar and hold the right to live and work there, including those either under spouse sponsorship or be able to transfer an existing sponsorship to the British Embassy. If sponsorship transfer is required, all sponsorship incurred fees shall be borne by the successful applicant. The Embassy cannot guarantee how much cost or time it may take for the process to complete.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including non-negotiable salary of QR 23,572 per calendar month and transportation allowance of QR 800 per calendar month, paid in arrears.
The contract will be for a full-time employment on a fixed-term basis for two (2) years with a possibility of extension, subject to a six (6) months’ probation period.
No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Conditioned working hours is 38 hours per week. Embassy working hours are 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. from Sundays to Wednesdays and 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Thursdays. However, the successful candidate may, on occasion, be required to work outside normal working hours.
Please note that this position will involve travel within the Gulf region and to the UK. It will also involve representational duties including out of hour’s commitments (networking, receptions, and seminars).
The Embassy has an active Continuous Professional Development Committee, and the whole of Post is committed to providing the time and resources for staff to develop professionally. The 70/20/10 learning and development model is applied flexibility, with both internal and formal opportunities readily available. All mandatory FCDO training must be completed.
The successful candidate will need to commence security clearance procedures through the Embassy and will be required to have or obtain the appropriate security clearance before employment commences and maintain this throughout period of employment.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must complete the online application form and attach the following documents:
- A covering letter.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
**Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the behaviours outlined above in your online application form. Applications that are not complete will be rejected.
The closing date for applications will be 23 August 2022 by 23:55 Doha time.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances, medical clearance and reference checks.
The British Embassy Doha is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Qatari employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.