View Vacancy - Building Services Manager (22/16 ABJ)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Main purpose of job:
Manage the delivery of high quality, efficient and effective maintenance services across the estate ensuring compliance with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Health and Safety (H&S) requirements practices and procedures.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- In consultation with the Technical Works Supervisers manage the effective and efficient maintenance of the new office building in Abuja and all properties across the consolidated residential estate of some 110 plus units of accommodation.
- Ensure that all properties are maintained in accordance with health and safety requirements and are fully compliant with FCO Standards.
- Ensure that all primary estate equipment and systems, generators, water processing plants, pumps etc are kept in good order, inspected and maintained on a regular basis.
- Working with the Estate Manager manage a running programme of repair and refurbishment to ensure that all residential properties are properly prepared and ready for occupation.
- Manage the planned preventative maintenance (PPM) programme across the estate.
- Manage the allocation of manitenance work and contracts to external providers ensuring value for money (VFM) through properly tendered and competitive contracts.
- Ensure the provision of all emergency call out services across the estate.
- Knowlegde of UK building standards and Health & Safety systems
- Understanding of modern PPM methods and setting up these systems in a working building.
- Minimum of 5 years Experience of managing a team to deliver a quality service in a high pressure environment
- An effective communicatior in English both verbally and in writting.
- An ability to think on their feet and be flexible in their approach to problem solving
- Demsontrate good interpersonal skills
- A self starter with an ability to work with minimal supervision
- Understanding of UK working practices including BS7671
- Familiar with Health and Safety Policy Documentation
- Relevant certificates or qualifications
- Good organisational and IT skills – capable of working quickly and accurately
Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
10 November 2016
Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
British High Commission
N 493 127
1 December 2016
Full time position, core working hours are 37 hours per week, Monday to Friday. However the job holder will need to be flexible to respond to incidents and operational demands as the need arises
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Country will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Complete the application form in full as the information provided will be used for screening purposes.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.
This opportunity is closed to applications.