View Vacancy - Political Officer
The British Embassy in Libya has a vacancy for the position of Political Officer.
The main purpose of the role is to strengthen the British Embassy’s understanding of the concerns & interests of those in Eastern Libya by producing regular reports on political developments and dynamics in these areas. To strengthen the Embassy’s relationships with key political figures in Eastern Libya.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build relationships with key political figures in Eastern Libya, including members of the House of Representatives, tribal & religious leaders, Mayors & municipal council members, journalists, and representatives of federalist and civil society organisations.
- Support the Embassy’ engagement in Eastern Libya by setting up phone calls and meetings between UK officials and these key political figures.
- Strengthen the Embassy’s understanding of the concerns and interests of those in Eastern Libya by producing regular reports on political developments and dynamics in Eastern Libya. The focus of this job is Eastern Libya, but you will also be asked to report on major political developments in Southern Libya, You will draw on your relationships, social media monitoring, and the traditional media to inform these reports.
- To achieve these objectives, you will be expected to work closely with the other B3(L) Political Officer in East Libya, who focuses on security, counter-terrorism & military issues. You may be asked to support them in facilitating visits by UK officials to Eastern Libya.
- Provide support to the Embassy’s media and public communication when members of the Communications team are on leave or during visits by the Ambassador to Eastern & Southern Libya.
- Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Seeing the Big Picture – This is about having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs.
- Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Leading and Communicating - At all levels, effectiveness in this area is about showing our pride and passion for public service, leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction, integrity and enthusiasm.
- University degree in a related field.
- Deep understanding of the political scene in Libya at the national and local levels
- Excellent English and Arabic written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer literate, especially in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Strong organisational skills.
- Proven research, analysis and reporting skills
- Problem-solving and efficient administrative skills.
- Experience of programmes management
Conditioned working hours are 40 hours gross per week. Standard working hours are from 08:00 am to 16:30 pm from Monday to Thursday. 08:00 – 13:00 on Fridays. The Embassy is committed to ensuring that you are able to maintain a suitable work-life balance.
The Embassy offers a starting salary of LYD 2,324. This position is for 6-month fixed-term contract (with the intention of an extension into a permanent position).
The appointment will be subject to satisfactory local and UK security clearances.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
1. An updated Curriculum Vitae
2. Please provide examples of performance in each competency on the motivation section of
the online application form or cover letter.
(Your application must include examples in your cover letter of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above. Applications that do not include this information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 on 26 September 2017 (Local Time). Application received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Candidates must ensure that they are eligible to work and reside in Libya.
Interviews will be held at the British Embassy Office and we will unfortunately only be able to contact those who have been selected for interview.
The British Embassy Libya is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.