View Vacancy - Head of Finance EECAN (TUR21.007)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
The British Consulate General in Istanbul is part of a world-wide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a Head of Finance in the EECAN region (Eastern Europe and Central Asia Region). Working closely with colleagues as part of the EECAN Hub team, you will play a key role in supporting the DIT EECAN region achieve its overall objectives, within the financial limits, through a period of growth and change.
The Department for International Trade (DIT), operating in 108 countries, is responsible for promoting British trade across the world. Establishing new relationships around the globe, DIT promotes British trade to ensure the UK takes advantage of the huge opportunities open to us, securing and improving economic well-being, stability, and helping to create tens of thousands of jobs.
EECAN are coordinated and led by Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner (HMTC) who is responsible for Trade and Investment work in the region. The region is one of nine global regions in the world. With c70 staff across ten countries - Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Ukraine, Russia, Turkey and Turkmenistan, Belarus, Georgia and Uzbekistan – DIT, as part of the UK government network offers a fast-paced place to work at the heart of UK: EECAN Government relations.
As Head of Finance across EECAN, you will be responsible for supporting all DIT EECAN teams across our fourteen locations to achieve our objectives and ambitions within their budget of circa £3.5 million pounds.
The Head of Finance has a critical role in supporting all teams deliver value for money in the pursuit of our objectives, utilise budgets effectively to deliver outcomes and ensure tight financial controls of resources and contracts to meet strategic priorities.
The job holder will be responsible for the day-to-day management of DIT EECAN’s financial records and management of budgets and spend, with key responsibility for timely maintenance of budget, forecasts and expenditure records.
In addition, the role will have lead responsibility on the preparation of monthly management information, covering financial and business performance data, to be discussed by the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) at Trade Performance Boards.
To be successful in this role, the job holder will need to collaborate with budget holders (both Directors and team leads), and in particular work closely with colleagues to develop a regional understanding of finance and performance matters.
The job holder will also need to maintain and actively engage with a number of key stakeholders, including DIT teams across the network, FCDO finance teams and DIT London (HQ) teams.
The job holder will also have an important role in sharing expertise and building capability across the organisation, supporting better financial understanding and management amongst all teams.
Specific responsibilities will include:
Financial Planning, Management and Reporting
- Ensuring timely and accurate budget monitoring and forecasting for posts under EECAN. Serve as the main point person for any budget and finance queries from posts under EECAN;
- Day to day management of DIT EECAN’s overall delegated budget, with the aim of delivering 0% overspend and any underspend within 1% of budget, ensuring compliance with relevant HMG Guidance, including maintenance and profiling of forecasts in the financial systems and ensuring spend is recorded accurately;
- Supporting on budget setting and budget reviews throughout the financial year to allocate limited financial resources most effectively;
- Preparation of monthly financial report showing budgets, forecast and spend, along with relevant analysis and recommendations to manage risk effectively. Flagging any financial risks or issues to the COO and Deputy Trade Commissioner (DTC);
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date knowledge of the accounting system and financial systems, including on financial management, cash management and procurement;
- Support all teams in DIT EECAN effectively; manage financial resources and achieve value for money through proactively sharing information and best practice, and providing sound financial advice and help troubleshoot complex financial issues;
- Create an effective virtual team to enable effective communication, knowledge sharing and collaboration - sharing information and expertise across both internal (EECAN wide and UK HQ) and external networks.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written)*;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written and verbal presentation and communication skills;
- At least four years professional work experience in finance;
- Experience with Accounting Principles and Processes;
- Knowledge of Month End Reporting, Analysing and presenting Financial Information;
- Knowledge of Budget Management and Forecasting;Ability to work across teams and stakeholders based across multiple locations;
- Good time management skills;
- Excellent prioritisation skills;
- Strong written and verbal presentation and communication skills;
- Excellent financial management and budgeting skills;
- Good IT skills and familiarity with MS Office applications.
- Relevant financial qualifications including ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA and CFA;
- Knowledge of Oracle based accounting packages and accounting, budgeting or book-keeping experience
- Experience of contract management;
- Previous experience of working within Government.
This is a full-time permanent contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
The monthly salary for this position is 2,602.41 USD gross B3 level. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax required by local law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Turkey. The British Consulate does not sponsor for work permits.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and a probation period of 2 months.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General in Istanbul are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Turkish employment law.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We are committed to developing a learning organisation that enhances business performance, maximises our staff’s potential and encourages staff innovation and development.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.