View Vacancy - Senior Trade Development Advisor (UKR21.151)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in Kyiv is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a permanent C4(L) Senior Trade Development Advisor to join our Department for International Trade (DIT) Ukraine team.
The new hire will be responsible for promoting UK exports of goods and services to Ukraine in the energy and other relevant sectors in the team (e.g. Healthcare, Education and Tourism). Also, day-to-day and strategic management and development of four B3(L) trade advisors and other team administration, management duties.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Follow developments in the macro energy-economy, energy policy and industry in Ukraine, with a focus on the shift from fossil fuels to renewables. Work closely with FCDO Energy Policy officer and Climate and Energy Adviser to help proactively seek, identify and discover potential commercial opportunities for the UK energy industry. The focus should be on renewables of all types, but possibly oil and gas where this is still permitted by British Government policy;
- Provide informed advice, market information and practical DIT assistance to British companies exporting to, or operating in Ukraine;
- The jobholder may also cover additional sectors such as Healthcare, Education and Tourism. This may be subject to change depending on future strategic planning;
- Plan and deliver targeted campaigns and activities (e.g. trade missions, seminars) in order to promote UK goods and services;
- Meet Business Plan targets, including charges for service and achieve export wins;
- Team Management/Representational Duties:
- British business community briefings and British Ukrainian Chamber of Commerce liaison;
- Briefings for Ambassador/other senior staff visits and meetings, updating the trade one-page brief and trade statistics, as required;
- Responding in a timely manner to information requests from regional DIT hub in Istanbul. Proactively contribute to business planning activities;
- Business problems and disputes – monitoring and supporting ongoing company cases involving British investors in Ukraine. Country Director/Deputy Director will normally deal with new or complex/more sensitive disputes;
- Ensuring that DIT data hub information and statistics are kept up to date;
- Monitoring general mailbox of enquiries and being the first point of contact for new customers;
- Other duties as delegated by the Director/Deputy.
- Fluent level of English and Ukrainian (written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*);
- Understanding of the economy, broader business environment and Energy sector in Ukraine;
- At least 3-4 years' experience of trade/export promotion and/or business development;
- Middle-management/small team leadership experience;
- Event organization or visit management experience;
- Good presentation and communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience of renewable energy in particular, experience in promoting other sectors;
- Work experience in government or business;
- Russian language is a plus.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field "Application deadline".
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
*Please refer to the “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages”. We are looking for a C1 level or equivalent. CEFR indicates Level C1 as mastery or proficiency level which can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning. Can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions. Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes. Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Additional Information (due to COVID-19):
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.