View Vacancy - KL- Residence and Events Manager B3 (L)
Main purpose of job
The Residence and Event Manager is responsible for the planning and co- ordination of events in and efficient management of the British High Commissioner’s Residence in Kuala Lumpur. This includes managing the Residence staff (5 people), budgets and the building to the highest possible standard to serve as a showcase for British excellence. The job holder reports directly to the High Commissioner.
Roles and responsibilities
- Plan and manage events to ensure professional delivery coupled with the best possible financial outcome for the High Commission
- Liaise with external suppliers and sponsors for events, such as catering, event management, A/V, etc.
- Ensure that marketing material for Residence is current and relevant.
- Liaise with Head Chef regarding menus, suggesting accompanying wines where appropriate.
- In conjunction with Deputy Residence Manager, oversee preparation of staff rosters, including hire of additional staff for events when required.
- Negotiate with suppliers to ensure value for money is achieved in all aspects of procurement.
- In conjunction with Deputy Residence Manager and Head Chef, maintain food and beverage levels, undertaking regular cellar stock checks.
Residence Management Duties
- Act as liaison between HC and facilities management contractor, with regard to all renovation/building/maintenance work undertaken at the Residence (including HC’s private quarters)
- Ensure that the furniture, furnishings, domestic equipment and all other official property and personal effects are properly safeguarded, maintained and replaced where necessary.
- Ensure all aspects of housekeeping are delivered to set standards, especially when there are official guests staying.
- Corporate leadership to the Residence team of 5, ensuring that individuals have strong development plans and their appraisals are carried out effectively.
- Ensure that the Residence is used appropriately and with due consideration to HC’s privacy and personal requirements.
- Showcase UK products and ingredients within the Residence, for example through menus, furniture, art displays and toiletries.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- Line management responsibility for: Deputy Residence & Business Hospitality Manager and Head Chef
- Responsible for Residence income generation and management of expense budget
Essential on arrival
- Previous event management experience
- Proven people management skills, capable of leading teams
- Excellent inter- personal and communication skills
- Experience in managing financial budgets and resources effectively
- Ability to complete work to a high standard, under pressure with a focus on attention to detail and customer service.
- Good IT skills (MS Office, particularly Word & Excel).
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed:
The British High Commission fosters a culture of Learning and Development. All staff will be encouraged to complete any necessary job-specific training as well as broader L&D opportunities. There is a commitment to a global minimum standard of the equivalent of five days learning and development activities for each member of staff.
The BHC Residence is both a family home, place of work for its staff, and the premier business hospitality venue for the British High Commission. The successful candidate will have to strike the right balance between these demands. Work can be busy with 2-3 events in a single day at busy times. The ability to juggle priorities and project a professional service will be important. This is a unique place of work that also seeks to ensure the best of British hospitality in order to support the UK/ Malaysia bilateral relationship. The post holder will deliver within this broader context.
Occasional weekends and some evening work required. Opportunity for flexible working (to be agreed with Job Holder).
Please note that your application must be submitted before 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
Indicated start date is provisional and subject to successful completion of reference and security checks.
Kindly check your application centre or email regularly for any update on the status of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.