View Vacancy - IT Support Officer (02/17) LUS
Main purpose of job:
To be responsible for the overall administration of the IT support structure for the British High Commission in collaboration with the DFID Regional BSD Manager.
The candidate will ensure that the network runs smoothly, helping users to resolve IT issues and to get the most from the system. Provide support to the wider Corporate Services Team on procurement,ICT Budget management and other issues as required. The position will require a proactive approach to ensure that work is undertaken efficiently and the successful job holder will need to have a flexible approach to their work and working schedule.
Roles and responsibilities:
First line support for the IHMG team’s primary Windows networks:
Anticipate and respond to user support requests in a timely and professional manner; troubleshoot and resolve user problems; provide ad-hoc training to users to help them make the most of the system; manage user accounts and access to the system; escalate problems to IT colleagues in the UK as appropriate.
Hardware and network infrastructure support:
Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and network problems; escalate problems to IT colleagues in the UK as appropriate; rebuild, repair and replace faulty equipment; upkeep of hardware inventory.
Management and support of non-business critical and PAG systems:
Manage user accounts and access to smaller Windows networks; management and support of hardware, software and network infrastructure; help set up rooms and equipment for presentations; provide support for users working on Partners Across Government (PAG) systems as required.
Help ensure the security of the system and building:
Control user access to the system; ensure IT security procedures are complied with; escalate potential breaches as appropriate.
Provide general administrative support to other members of the Corporate Services Team (e.g.procurement). Compile and present monthly statistics of IT help desk requests. Manage and monitor the Corporate Services SLA for ICT support. Managing of performance of local maintenance contracts;managing servie provider relations with(including but not limited to) Mobile phone (MITEL VOICE/IP telephony system),fixed line and document production companies.
Ensure accurate ICT budgeting and forecasting.
Crisis Management/Business Continuity: Supporting the Logistics Lead. Maintaining the Consular Emergency Kit IT, including the bi-monthly testing of the equipment.
Contributing towards the mission wide activities.
- Strong IT skills (hardware, software and services) supported by IT related qualifications with some experience in IT support.
- A working knowledge of Facilities and Data Centre management including structured cabling, HVAC and house keeping routines.
- Strong Knowledge of IT applications, MS Windows and Wi-Fi networks.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Experience providing administrative support to wider teams.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- ITIL Service Management coupled with a technical qualification in IT support and service delivery.
- Understanding of the Service Desk function and processes.
- Knowledge and understanding of Virtual Private Networking, routing and switching.
- Knowledge of business continuity planning and disaster recovery.
- Understanding of budgeting, procurement processes, contract management, SLAs and Value for Money.
- At least 2 years’ experience supporting customers in a fast paced and high pressure environment.
- Appreciation of Project Management principles.
- Working knowledge of cloud computing technologies and applications.
- Experience in providing IT helpdesk support.
- Please complete the application form in full. Failure to do so may result in a determination that you do not meet the requirements for the position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Lusaka are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Zambia.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Successful candidates not resident in Country will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British Higih Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.
This opportunity is closed to applications.