View Vacancy - UKRep Internship Opportunity (BEL389)
The UK Representation to the European Union (UKRep) is part of a worldwide network of diplomatic missions, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. The work of UKRep involves representing UK views and positions, as well as advising colleagues, Whitehall officials and UK Ministers on EU business and ongoing negotiations, undertaking projects towards meeting UK Ministers’ objectives.
UKRep works within the EU and its member states to maximise British influence on issues such as trade, the single market and economic growth and is now looking for an Intern to join the team for 3 months.
The successful candidate will join the Foreign Policy & Development (FPD) Team and will support the delivery of UK foreign policy objectives. The internship will provide an invaluable insight into both UK and EU foreign and security policy, as well as into how policy is negotiated in the Council of Ministers.
This is a challenging and rewarding role, working in a fast-paced, exciting and international environment. The position allows for broad personal and professional development. FPD is looking for someone who is enthusiastic about developing their skills and who will make the most of the opportunities available to them during the internship. It would suit a graduate with an interest in EU and UK politics and ambitions to work in an international environment.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Support UK representatives to Council working groups, particularly in the CSDP and wider world portfolios;
- Contribute to the team’s political reporting of events and developments in Brussels;
- Assist with the organisation of team events (meetings, etc...), both during the preparation and on the day itself.
- Fluent in English and at least intermediate French, both oral and written;
- University Graduate;
- Good organisational skills;
- Good Communications and Personal skills;
- Confident in using Microsoft Office Programs.
- Fluent in French;
- Some prior knowledge of the EU institutions.
This is a full-time professional immersion traineeship with the duration of 3 months, 36.25 hours net for 5 working days a week.
The professional immersion indemnity for this position is €766. The British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium follow the Belgian minimum pay scales for paid internships as set out under local labour law.
For more details, please follow the link: http://www.emploi.belgique.be/defaultTab.aspx?id=3460
The British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium salaries are not subject to annual indexation. Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
Professional Immersion Traineeship Requirements:
- Be a minimum of 18 years old;
- Proof of valid medical coverage for the period of the internship (European Health Insurance Card);
- The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance;
- Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.