View Vacancy - Chargeable Services Manager (01/18 LOS)
Main purpose of job:
The job holder will work in the Africa Region of the UK Department for International Trade (DIT). They will manage the Chargeable Services staff for West Africa within the Africa Trade Services Unit. The Trade Services Unit exists to provide a simplified and standardised service to British companies looking to export to Africa. The job holder will report into the Head of the Trade Services Unit based in Alexandria, Egypt and be responsible for the delivery of Chargeable Trade Services delivered across West Africa.
Chargeable Services (also known as OMIS – the Overseas Market Introduction Service) include the scope of any services required by British businesses looking to export to Africa. The service can vary from providing market research, introductions to contacts in-market (including visit programmes) and delivering networking receptions and other events.
The Job Holder will deliver services, coordinate requests coming from the central enquiries mailbox, provide quality assurance, deliver to deadlines and follow-up with companies across the team, and manage the team of 2x A2L and 2 interns.
The job holder will need to work collaboratively with colleagues across other UK departments in Africa, including DFID, The Foreign & Commonwealth Office, the Ministry of Defence and the British Council. They will also need to actively engage external stakeholders in the Private Sector and host Governments.
Roles and responsibilities
DIT Africa is developing a trade strategy to better tap into the vast potential for business across the continent specifically increasing trade between the UK and Africa. The job holder will be responsible for the delivery of chargeable services across West Africa. The Chargeable Services Team needs to be self-sustainable, funded through income generated. The job holder needs to ensure a consistent and high quality delivery across the team, with services delivered to deadlines.
The job holder will work with the local Africa Public Engagement and Communications (APEC) Officer to promote the chargeable services on offer to British companies with a view to increasing demand and building a healthy pipeline of clients.
Lead delivery of Chargeable Services across West Africa managing a team of 4 people to deliver the following services:
- Planning and delivering on requests for market research, warmed-up contacts, introductions to local partners (including support for market visits), delivery of events (in liaison with the APEC Team), and any other chargeable services/support required from British companies doing business in W Africa
- Personally delivering these services as necessary, as well as managing others to do so;
- Ensuring all activity is recorded on the Customer Database Management System (CDMS), including interactions and significant assists;
- Line Management of one Trade Services Officer in Lagos, one in Accra and 2 interns, (Lagos, and Accra);
- Liaison with managers in North, South and East Africa.
- Substituting for other staff when on leave.
We are looking for a highly organised person with a strong attention to detail, ability to take the initiative, work accurately within deadlines and with limited supervision, and be a strong team member who works collaboratively.
- A degree level qualification
- Fluent written and spoken English
- 2+ years of relevant experience
- Willingness to travel if required
- Great team player, able to build collaborative working relationships across teams
- Good client engagement skills
- Strong IT skills in Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint
- Able to adapt to a quick changing and evolving business environment; working proactively and autonomously
- Ability to work with people at all levels of seniority in an international environment and within a fast paced, results orientated organisation
Learning and development opportunities
The applicant will be given a full induction with DIT in London ideally before starting or in their first 3 months on the job.
Full range of L&D available in DIT
Level of language required: Fluent
This opportunity is closed to applications.