View Vacancy - Administrative Assistant CTEN A2 (35/18 NR)
Main Purpose of Job:
Working within the Counter Terrorism and Extremism Network (CTEN), the successful candidate will be responsible for providing administrative support to ensure the efficient running of the section and effective management of CTEN team resources. This role is an opportunity to support a high profile foreign policy priority by helping tackle terrorism in line with international human rights standards.
The successful applicant will have an interest in security and justice issues and be able to use their administrative skills to deliver in a fast paced environment.
Roles and Responsibilities (What is the jobholder expected to achieve?):
- Provide administrative and clerical support to the team in order to ensure effective and efficient operations
- Support the Head of the CTEN through effective diary management and by facilitating travel and meeting requirements
- Oversee the CTEN’s operational budget by monitoring expenditure, collating forecasts, processing expense claims and reviewing all purchasing requests to ensure audit procedures are followed correctly
- Organise official incoming visits and events for the CTEN section, including drawing up programmes, arranging transport, hotel bookings, etc.
- Provide project support to Programme Officers in all administrative aspects of project management
- Act as the key contact point within the team for IT, technical, human resource and operational requests
- General office management including printing, photocopying, filing, supervision of cleaning, etc.
- Ability to plan ahead and prioritise effectively
- Excellent IT skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Experience of budget management including monitoring spend and processing invoices
- Ability to produce clear and accurate work with attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work independently and use initiative to solve problems
- Can support colleagues when under pressure and able to contribute to cross-team working
- A flexible and proactive approach
- Previous experience as a PA
- Previous experience in project management
Learning and Development Opportunities:
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office offers all its employees the opportunity to pursue a City and Guilds Diploma through the Diplomatic Academy.
The Regional Learning and Development Team visit Nairobi regularly to provide training courses to further personal development.
This role is open to applicants willing to cover a full time position (36.25 hours per week) as well as applicants who wish to work part time (from a minimum of 70% of full time hours - equivalent to 25 hours per week - based on a prorated salary). This will be discussed & finalised upon appointment of a successful candidate.
The role will also allow for a flexible working scheme during the normal office working hours. The job holder will be able to discuss and decide working hours/days following the appointment.
The role is based at the British High Commission offices in Nairobi, and occasional working from home may be allowed with line manager approval.
This is a 17 months Fixed term contract position
Due to the nature of the role it is necessary that applicants be security cleared to LE CONFIDENTIAL, or demonstrate that they can easily obtain such clearance. Clearance can normally only be obtained by UK nationals [not Kenyan dual nationals] with at least 3 years residence in the past 10 years in the UK, USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand or EU. Nationals of the latter five may also be able to get clearance, although not if they are Kenyan dual nationals. Such candidates must have a traceable history over the last 5 years
Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Nairobi are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Kenya.
- It is essential that the applicants already have the right to live and work in Kenya without the need to apply for a work permit
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.