View Vacancy - Project Management and Campaigns Officer B3 (04/19 ABI) - AU
Main purpose of job:
Manage project funds in line with the British Embassy Abidjan’s Country Business plan priorities.
The role will involve identifying and bidding for funds internally within the UK government system, project and programme management including preparing contracts, monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment to ensure projects and programmes deliver results in support of the Embassy’s objectives.
The role will cover administration of small grants in addition to identifying projects and bidding for centrally held funds in line with priority campaigns (for example to promote media freedom, combatting illegal wildlife trafficking, support good governance) and to lead on delivering these campaigns in Cote d’Ivoire on behalf of the British Government.
We require a self-starter, able to manage a number of tasks/projects at the same time and respond to urgent assignments with confidence and composure. You should be organised and lead by example to deliver excellent customer service and build positive relationships with staff and our key partners.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Establish and manage best practice programme and project management in line with UK government standards and expectations
- Identify sources of programme and project funds within the UK government system to support the delivery of the British Embassy Abidjan’s country business plan priorities, objectives, and UK government thematic campaigns
- Prepare and submit bids for funds
- Manage projects and programmes to ensure high standards of financial and contract management and excellent value for money
- Develop relationships with stakeholders – including potential funding recipients such as civil society organisations and the Ivoirian public sector as well as UK based project and programme teams.
- Run the Embassy’s programme and project board to identify and select key themes and areas for funding.
- The jobholder will be expected to manage BE Abidjan’s participation in and access to various UK government programmes and campaigns such as the International Leadership Programme, GREAT campaign, media freedom campaign, Illegal wildlife trafficking campaign.
- He or she will also promote and ensure visibility of UK government programmes open to participation from Cote d’Ivoire such as the UK’s Darwin Initiative.
- The jobholder will be expected to design projects and bid for centrally held UK government funds in line with wider Embassy objectives, on areas covering good governance, human rights, and elections.
- The role offers scope for innovation and an opportunity to influence the design and delivery of projects and programmes within the British Embassy.
- Currently funds held are small but the jobholder will have the opportunity to develop creative ideas for projects and bid for additional resources.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- Resources managed will include approximately £30,000 programme funds plus additional funds according to funding opportunities arising.
- Project / programme management experience
- Excellent use the Microsoft Office Suite of software
- Experience in dealing with the public
- Excellent organisational skills
- Team player
- Strong communication skills
- Extensive ability to speak, read and write French and English
- Relevant academic background
- Customer service
- Stakeholder management
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
Opportunities for learning and development on the job through attendance at seminars, workshops and training courses. There are opportunities to participate in regional conference and economic training courses. There are further opportunities offered through the Regional Learning and Development Team and work-shadowing possibilities in Accra. A wide range of e-learning courses offered by the UK civil service and both on-line and traditional training is offered by the Foreign Office’s Diplomatic Academy.
- Monday-Thursday: 0830-1630
- Friday: 0830-1430
There may be occasional evening events to attend.
The British Embassy is a rapidly growing and dynamic mission with a culture which encourages staff to be creative and take the initiative. Staff at the Embassy are expected to be team-players, willing to support colleagues in other areas of work as necessary. We place a high value on creating a supportive and welcoming place of work where all colleagues are respected for their contribution. Good communication and team-working skills are highly desirable.
The British Embassy in Abidjan is a small diplomatic mission. Your role will be essential in providing operational support to the team and helping to ensure the efficient running of the Embassy.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Abidjan are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Ivory Coast.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British Embassy/High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position
This opportunity is closed to applications.