View Vacancy - Head of Strategic Communication and Campaigns -C4, Islamabad/ Karachi/ Lahore
Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.
Please note that due to Covid-19 outbreak, the start date of employment mentioned in the advert is tentative, subject to normal business of British High Commission. All recruitment campaigns will remain open for applications, we will progress the recruitment process as swiftly as possible and continue to review all applications, monitor progress and developments. We will be in touch with you for the interviews/ should there be further updates on the application, however given the circumstances, kindly expect some delay in response and please reach out to SAAD.Recruit@fcdo.gov.uk, if you have any further questions.
This is a fixed term position for a period of 2 years. It can be based in either of the following locations: Islamabad/ Karachi/ Lahore.
Main purpose of job:
To work with a great team to deliver strategic communication and campaigns that can effect change and influence some of the biggest global issues of today.
The Head of Strategic Communication and Campaigns will develop and implement strategic communication for UK in Pakistan on top policy priorities (for example: media freedom, trade and prosperity), lead insight led and focused strategic campaigns (priorities agreed for this year include UKPakDosti, Girls’ Education and Climate Change), monitor and provide audience research for communication activity, and provide regular evaluation on impact.
The successful applicant will be able to horizon scan for top issues, have a deep understanding of the media landscape and audiences in Pakistan, have knowledge of implementing strong campaigns focused on smart objectives, work well under pressure including in crisis situations, be able to work independently and as part of a team.
Roles and responsibilities:
- The ideal candidate will have a communication/PR/marketing background with a proven track record of delivering communication campaigns – this can include behaviour change, marketing or advertising products, or influencing change on issues. You should have an expert level understanding of the media environment we live and work in (in UK and Pakistan).
- You will need to be creative and curious, confident enough to share your ideas, and perceptive enough to encourage others to share theirs too. We encourage a fun and creative atmosphere where we can turn thoughts into ideas and ideas into action. This is key to give us the leading edge when we are looking at how we can make the most difference.
- You will be a good problem solver and have excellent strategic awareness with an ability to horizon scan and spot links, opportunities and risks; and be able to apply research techniques (including being able to turn complex data into simple headlines) to find out more what our audiences care about; and apply evaluation frameworks to communication activity.
- You will be up to speed with global social media trends, have an interest in international affairs, and be enthusiastic and proactive in your approach so being able to spot thematic links, take decisions based on sound evidence, and show initiative. You may also be asked to manage and monitor financial resources and budgets.
- The ideal candidate should be a good team player and loves being part of a nice but busy team. This means you’re committed, can be counted on to get the job done and are inclusive and respectful of other people’s opinions.
- You will be able to prioritise work and be flexible when needed for example helping out during crises. A big part of the role includes reaching out and developing good relationships with a diverse range of partners.
- You will enjoy delivering through virtual teams and empowering others, enabling staff to deliver their very best.
Day to day responsibilities include:
- Working with policy and programme colleagues to jointly diagnose issues and provide strategic communication advice. Develop strategic communication plans (including narratives) aligned with UK priorities.
- Research and monitor audience data and perceptions to help inform communication activity. Understand and advise on channels plus ensure that our impact is evaluated regularly with any actionable insights applied.
- Own and lead first class communication campaigns based on the OASIS model (2021 campaigns are: UKPakDosti, Girls’ education and Climate Change) with SMART objectives applied and impact rigorously evaluated on a regular basis.
- Build relationships with and engage key influencers on UK priorities linked to our campaigns; work with colleagues to innovate and implement campaign ideas.
- Engage with colleagues across the global network on our campaign priorities and ensure a regular flow of case studies from Pakistan, sharing best practise and applying lessons learned.
Learning and development opportunities:
What we offer:
We want to attract the best diverse talent to join the @UKinPakistan team, and in return are committed to ensuring that all of our staff are able to be their very best and flourish. We’re committed to supporting staff aspirations and goals.
Our strong L&D offer includes access to training provided in house; shadowing and mentoring opportunities; access to funds for professional qualifications; regular masterclasses from experts (including from private and public sector); and opportunities to get involved in the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office corporate agenda across our global network.
There are regular opportunities to travel overseas including to present at conferences on strategic communications, and to support capability building of the global network through visits to Posts.
We are a supportive and fun team to work in. We hold regular team lunches, back each other up during busy teams, and celebrate our achievements and lessons learned together.
You will get to work on real world issues which means that no day can be the same; and you will get to see the difference that effective communications can make first hand
- Knowledge/experience of using research tools and evaluation techniques for campaigns.
- 3-7 years of relevant experience.
- Wider PR, advertising and/or communication skills including experience of working in a busy communications environment and developing cutting edge campaigns activity.
- Ability to develop strong narratives for national and international audiences
- Strong understanding of how communications can be used to influence change
- Knowledge of international affairs
- Analyse complex data, and present into headlines for insight and evaluation
Language: English and Urdu
Level of language required: Fluent
For BHC candidates, the Country Based Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply. For other than BHC candidates the basic salary will be PKR 265,224 per month.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work forces are women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCDO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best
’Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.’’
Please note applications without (a) and (b) will not be considered.
A. Complete the Online Application Form
B. Complete the Motivation and Competency Segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) and also inform their current line managers, else the applications will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by 10th May 2021 (latest by 23:55 hours PKT).
Please note that all the applicants will be required to strictly adhere to the security guidelines for British High Commission
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, medical, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.